Juuzou and his Princess: Investigation 14

Juuzou's P. O. V

I listened to the sound of [Y/n]'s steady breathing as I lay awake, trying to recollect my thoughts. Tomorrow would officially be the 1 year anniversary of the Owl Operation. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed already...

[Flashback]

(There are going to be multiple flashbacks in this chapter as I am going to write from Juuzou's P.O.V in different points in the plot's timeline, so please bear with me. Feel free to leave questions in the comments if you don't understand!)    

I stared at the sky from the view of the hospital window, tugging on my stitches as I try to process the information that I had just received a few hours ago.

*
*
*

"Vegetation state? " the words felt foreign coming out of my mouth.

The sight of Shinohara-san being connected to the beeping machines made me feel numb on the inside.

"Yes,"  I stared blankly at the investigator informing me,  not sure what to do with the crushingly empty feeling inside me.

***

*
*
*

He will no longer regain consciousness.

The words echoed in my head,  refusing to stop.

Trying to calm down,  I looked at the sleeping figure beside me. The soft moonlight illuminated her peaceful face,  making a wave of greatfulness and relief wash over me.

Now that I've lost Shinohara-san,  losing [Y/n]  as well doesn't seem as far-fetched as she used to say it was.

According to the nurse, she'd wake up in a few days, but I insisted on watching over her so she wouldnt be alone if she woke up early.

She was the one person who always remained by my side and I didn't even want to think about a life without her.
*
*
*

"Come on Rei, you can do it! " [Y/n] encouraged as she helped me up onto the roof.

"But Mama..." I looked behind me nervously. There was no doubt about the furious state our mother figure would be in if she found out.

"Mama went out tonight." The [h/c]  girl gave me a reassuring smile.
"It's okay. "

I nodded as I climbed up the tiles onto the roof of the restaurant.

[Y/n] was already on the top of the roof, swinging her legs as she stared up at the sky.

"The stars are really pretty,  don't you think?" my friend looked at me, her eyes bright with excitement.

"Right."  Personally,  I thought that the tiny lights were no match for the twinkling in [Y/n]'s eyes, but she looked so happy about them and I didn't want to ruin it. "Pretty."