Significant LGBT+ Dates📆

Dates.

And I meant the noun used to describe time. I'm not talking about the fruit. Nor the light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who has been aggressively friend zoned. But I digress. Here's the rub:

February - LGBT History Month (UK)

Celebrates the history of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders as well as gay and civil rights movement.

March 31st - International Transgender Day of Visibility 

Celebrates transgenders and promotes awareness towards the discrimination faced by the community worldwide.

April (day varies) - Day of Silence 😯

Celebrates the annual protest against the bullying, assault and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender students and their allies. 

May 17th - International Day Against Homophobia

Celebration to mark the decision to abolish homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization in 1990.

May 22nd - Harvey Milk Day

Harvey Milk was a gay rights activist. He was assassinated. Therefore, we picked a date of remembrance in his honour. Kinda like the same thing we did for other famous icons throughout the centuries, ie. Martin Luther King Day and Good Friday.

June - 🎉PRIDE🌈MONTH🎆

LGBT pride is the positive march against discrimination and harassment toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, to promote and celebrate sexual orientation and diverse gender identities.

June 27th - Stonewall🏬Riots Anniversary Day

The Stonewall riots were a series of violent and aggressive demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid that took place on June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village of New York City. The riots acted as a catalyst which propelled the gay liberation movement and fight for LGBT rights in the United States. 

September 23rd - Celebrate Bisexuality Day 🍊 🍆

Celebrate bisexuality, bisexual history, bisexual community and culture, and the bisexual peoples lifestyle.

October - LGBT History Month (USA)

October 11th - National Coming Out Day

National Coming Out Day is an annual civil awareness day on October 11th to recognise members of the LGBTQ+ community. This process of coming out involves revealing one's sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

October 16th  - Spirit Day

October 20th-26th - Asexuality Awareness Week 

An international campaign that aims to educate about asexual, aromantic, demisexual, and grey-asexual orientations and to generate informative materials that are accessible to our community and allies globally.

October 26th - Intersex Awareness Day

 International civil awareness day designed to highlight the problems experienced by intersex people. 

November 20th - Transgender Day of Remembrance 

 This day is chosen as a remembrance to those who have been murdered as a result of transphobia and promotes awareness towards the discrimination faced by the transgender community.