NCOD

11th October,

For most of us that date doesn't carry any significance. Its not a public holiday nor a celebration. It's not Christmas or Thanksgiving or Easter.
Maybe some of you are carving out pumpkins and purchasing candy while reading this after realising the proximity to Halloween. But you probably think that today is just a regular autumn/spring day that replaces the 10th and precedes the 12th, leaving without much commotion.

We can live our whole lives without realising that today, some tens of thousands of people of all ages and ethnicities around the world may be revealing their association to the LGBT+ community to their family and friends. For them, today will either end in inexplicable joy and relief, or crushing disappointment and depression.

Today is the National Coming Out Day in the U.S. And, although it was only introduced to the States at first, now, lots of us in the LGBT+ community worldwide opted to adopt the celebration as our own.

Whether you be gay or bi or pan or are transgender or gender fluid or sit on the asexual spectrum or [insert your label here if you want to], we can't (NOT don't), we can't conform to the traditional hetero -cis behaviour that society stereotypically expects of us. Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely fine to be a card carrying member of the hetero/cis club. It's just, not all of us can't be like that because the life itself isn't a perfect programme. It has glitches and kinks at times.

And those glitches may even turn out to be fun and rainbowliciously exciting. Because, who wants to live on a world where there's no diversity? Frankly, it sounds boring and as stale as mouldy bread crusts.

So, the NCOD is one of those celebrations that the LGBT+ community acknowledges. It's purpose is to celebrate the freedom of coming out without fear of discrimination and personal harm.

In fact, you know what? Let's all come out today. After all, there is no rule that states NCOD is exclusively for us LGBT+ peeps. Its a challenge.

If you notice anyone who's struggling to come to terms with their own sexuality or gender association, give them a hand by coming out yourselves. If you're not part of the LGBT+ community, that's also fine. You could come out as an ally of you wish or you could reveal your deepest darkest secrets or fetishes to the world.

And if you happen to be an obnoxiously wholesome individual with a really really clean mind, you can come out be telling everyone your past freaking mistakes or accidents that you find hilarious.

Trust me, even if nothing big happens, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing you tried to help a closeted individual feel less alienated. Don't pressure them into coming out though. Just let them be themselves because these things have to be done voluntarily. Remember, a small step goes a long way.

A/N: If you or anyone you know came out in any way as anything, comment about it. The most creative one gets a dedication on the next chapter. See ya.