14

"Oh James......" I said loudly, calling his name. I knock on the door louder. I hear a loud groan. "Jaaaaaaammmmmeeeess." I repeat, dragging his name out. He opens the door, rubbing his eyes with a hand. He squints. "Who's that?" I scoff, pushing past him and grabbing his glasses, handing them to him. He grins. "Oh hi Kylie." I push him back onto his bed, sitting across from him. "We need to talk." He looks panicked. "That doesn't sound good." 

"Halloween dance. Date." He raises his eyebrows. "Wouldn't you be asking Sirius for this type of thing...." I scoff. "Seriously? Even if I did need a date who wasn't Sirius, you'd wouldn't exactly be first on my list." He gapes at me. "Hey!" I laugh. "I'm talking about your date, you numb brain." His face falls. "Yeah, I don't really know about that." I sigh. "Look, we all saw you and Lily dancing at my party. I don't think I've ever seen you so happy! You've gotta at least try." 

I encourage him, looking hopeful. He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Getting rejected everyday does stuff to a guy, Ky. It comes to a point where you have to put yourself over your feelings. It hurts." He falls back on his bed. "Am I still in love with her? Hell yes. Do I still want to be her boyfriend? Hell yes. Is she ever going to accept me? Hell no. And am I just going to just make myself vulnerable over and over just so she can reject me again? Hell to the no." 

I sigh, sitting down next to him. "Look, I know it's hard. And I know it can make you feel like you're not worth anything. But please, just for me, ask her to this Ball. If she says no, then you don't have to ask her again." He looks at me. "And you're sure there's a chance? A slim chance, but a chance no less?" I nod, giving him a thumbs up. "You've got this." He looks at me again. "I'll do it. But talk to her for me? Make sure when I get rejected, she lets me down easy?" I scoff, shoving his arm. "Think positive!" 

"Fine. I'm positive we're going to lose." 

"Be upbeat!" 

"We're screwed!" 

"That's better."

**********

I hear a knock on my dormitory door. Cissy and I are doing our charms homework. "Get that?" I ask, looking up at her hopefully. She groans, placing her quill back in her ink pot carefully. She swings the door open. "I think this one's for you." I turn around and Sirius is at the door, obviously holding something behind his back. "Sirius!" I say, jumping up. "You would not believe the glares I just got in that common room." He said, shuddering. Cissy stands off to the side, biting her lip to hide a smile. "So." I said, leaning against the door frame. "So." He repeats, smiling awkwardly at me. He twists, pulling something out from behind his back. Cissy snorts. 

"You got me pizza?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. He hands me the pizza box. "Open it." I look at him for a second before sitting down on my bed. I send him one last confused glance before opening it.

I know this is cheesy, but will you go to ball with me?

I laugh, smiling. I look up at him. He smiles sheepishly, running a hand through his hair. Carefully placing the precious pizza aside, I hug him tightly, placing a kiss on his lips. "So is that a yes?" He whispers. "Yes, yes, yes and yes." I reply, kissing him again. Cissy clears her throat and we jump apart. "Cousin." Sirius greets. She grins. "You did good, cuz. I'll see you around." She makes a face at me before leaving. "So why don't we eat this MARVELOUS PIZZA?" I exclaim, turning around and grabbing the food. He takes a blanket from my bed and spreads it on the floor in between beds. It's a thin strip of floor so we both are laying on our stomachs with the pizza in between.