25

It had been a week since Sirius left. One week without his smile, his laugh, his jokes. And Kylie was a wreck. 

She was still in love with him, no matter how much she tried to deny it. She loved him. But at the same time she was furious with him for breaking up with her and leaving. And then she was worried about him and where he was. He gave no hints, left no clues, and hasn't sent any letters. No one knows where he went. And it was killing Kylie

Where did he go? Why? The breakup came completely out of the blue. Just a day or two ago he was pulling her into his arms and telling her he loved her, and now he's gone. It just didn't make sense. Not just blinded by her feelings, but in the logic of it. Hogwarts was his home. He barely wanted to leave over breaks, so why would he want to leave now? 

James was just as wrecked as she was. He wandered around like he was lost all the time. His shirt was wrinkled and shoes untied. Peter was constantly late with mix matched socks on, and Remus. Well, Remus just snapped at everyone who tried to talk to him. Everything seemed unbalanced. It just goes to show you how much of an impact someone can have. 

****

Sirius slammed his duffel bag to the floor. "I'm here. What do I need to do in order to leave?" Orion ignored him and pointed up the stairs. 

"Welcome to Death Eater headquarters. Your room is upstairs, 3rd door to your right." He glanced up. "I suggest you unpack. You're going to be here a while." Sirius said nothing and stomped up the stairs. Once he reached his room, he snorted in disgust. Everyone had their name on a gold plaque outside the door. He ripped it off and threw it in the garbage in his new room. 

The place was decorated with a Slytherin banner and framed Voldemort newspaper clippings. Sirius threw his bag onto the bed and ripped all of them down. The room was bare aside from the bed, a wardrobe and a small nightstand. He sank into the bed and it creaked. Slowly, he began to unpack. He hung up all the band t-shirts and his precious leather jackets. He arranged all his hair products on the small bathroom sink. And finally, he took out his framed picture of him and Kylie and placed it gently on the nightstand. 

It was taken the night of her birthday party. Someone had snapped it when they were dancing in the corner together. She was mid laugh, and Sirius was watching her fondly. He stared at the picture for a long second. Her frozen face was glossy, and even though it didn't move, he still felt like her face showed disappointment. 

"I'm sorry, Kylie." He whispered, and pulled himself off the bed and out into his first encounter with Voldemort. It was going to be a long month. 

"Sirius." His pale, long fingers were intertwined as he sat at the end of the table. Sirius sat in the seat farthest away to him as possible. 

"What do you want with me?" He said sharply. Voldemort laughed coldly. 

"Now, now, Sirius. No need to get snippy." He turned and looked Voldemort in the eye for the first time. They were cold, and endless. 

"Why did you call me here?" Voldemort pushed his chair back with a horrible scraping sound and started pacing around the room. 

"Sirius, you are a very talented young man. You could prove a very useful edition to my team. You have a vast knowledge of curses and hexes. This is good... You have very high marks, although a low homework completion rate, that will have to change..." He seemed to be talking to himself. 

"What do you need me to do?" Sirius said, rubbing in between his eyes. 

"I need you to become a double agent to get information on the Order of the Phoenix." Sirius slammed his hands on the table.