17

"Mister Black, I am fully aware that you have been unconscious for three days but you are conscious right now, so forgive me but I see you perfectly fit to do the essay due tomorrow." McGongagall says, looking at Sirius over her glasses as she fiddled through the stack of papers. He scoffs, stretching his arms wide. "Minnie, I could have DIED." She sighs, setting down her papers. "Tomorrow, Black." He nods. "Fiiiiiiinnnnneeeee." I push myself up from leaning against the doorframe and together we walk to our next class. "I told you it was pointless." He shoves me lightly. "It was worth a shot." "So wasn't."

I push the door to Defense Against the Dark Arts open and hand the professor our late pass. "We're working on Patronuses today. You can read the passage on page 34 in your books, and apply the theory to your work. Get started right away." I nod and follow Sirius back to our seats. "Well this should be an easy class." I shove his shoulder lightly. "Just because we know how to do it, doesn't mean that we shouldn't practice." He scoffs, pulling me closer. "You work too hard, Ky. Relax a bit. I don't think I've seen you relax in so long." I sigh, resting my head on his shoulder. 

"I've just been busy. That's all." He looks down at me. "Yeah. Too busy to be hanging out with me." I look at him apologetically. "You know I would much rather be spending time with you right?" He ruffles my hair. "I know baby I know. I'm just messing with you." James slumps over onto his desk. "Could you guys stop being, you know, romantic." Sirius laughs. "You're just jealous." James glares at him out of the corner of his eye. "I'm not gonna say I'm not. Cause I am." He turns around and faces us.

"I've been watching Lily ALL class. And she still hasn't cast a Patronus. You know if she has a doe, that means we're soulmates." A dreamy look passes over his face momentarily. He stares stonily at us. "The only doe I saw was Snapes." Sirius snorts, obviously trying to keep his friends dignity. "I didn't know you played that way, mate." James glares at Sirius, slapping him lightly. "Hush." 

I slip out of Sirius's grasp and leave the two boys bickering. I tap Lily on the shoulder and she blows hair out of her face frustratingly before turning to face me. "I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong!" I twist her hand lightly and push her shoulders back. "You're too tense." I stand in front of her, blocking the view of the classroom. "It's supposed to be natural, you have to do what feels natural to you." She starts protesting. "But the book says-" 

"It doesn't matter what the book says. I'm telling you, it's different for every person. You have to be loose, relax, and do what feels right for you. Just try it." She sighs, closing her eyes. "Picture the memory. Imagine yourself back in that day. Let the joy and happiness fill you up." She exhales slowly and I can see her relaxing. "Expecto Patronum." I tell her, stepping out of the way.

"Expecto Patronum." She repeats, and a beautiful white doe comes fluidly out of her wand, galloping around the room. Lily gasps, holding her hand out for the doe to nuzzle it. The doe then runs towards James and knocks him to the ground, and Lily starts laughing. The doe disappears with a slow shimmer, and Lily has a big beautiful smile on her face. "I told you." I whisper. She's still staring at James. "Oh my god." I whisper again, staring at her. "Hm?" She says, tearing her gaze away from him. "You fancy James." She looks at me, a playful smile on her lips. "You're ridiculous." 

"I'm right!" I gasp, leaning back onto the wall. "I think I might faint." She blushes again. "I do not fancy James, Kylie. Chill. He's an arrogant toe rag. Always has always will be." I see James's face fall. "Harsh, Lils." I muter. I see her glance at James's expression. When he realizes he's being watched, his expression quickly becomes guarded. "Sorry." She mutters, tucking her hair behind her ears. But she doesn't seem very sorry. "Sorry, mate." I whisper to James, ruffling his hair. He sulks quietly at the desk. "I just don't see what I'm doing wrong." He whispers, voice cracking. My heart nearly breaks in two at the pain in his voice and I sit down next to him. "She'll come around eventually." He's quiet for a moment. "But how do you know that?"