Talons and Tea Leaves

John sat down next to Hermione at breakfast and rested his head in his hands. His peaceful sleep had been ruined when he woke up with a savage headache and a painful pressure behind his eyes.

'Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today,' Hermione said happily as Fred and George passed them down their timetables.

'Hermione,' said Ron, 'they've messed up your timetable. Look – they've got you down for about ten subjects a day.'

'I'll manage. I've fixed it with Professor McGonagall.'

'But look, see this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination, under that, Muggle Studies, and look – underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in three classes at once?'

'Oh, leave her alone, Ron,' John moaned. 'She'll be fine.'

Just then, Hagrid entered the Great Hall, along with Sherlock and Castiel.

'All righ'?' Hagrid said eagerly, pausing on his way to the staff table. 'Yer in my firs' ever lesson! Righ' after lunch! Bin up since five getting' everythin' ready... hope it's okay... me, a teacher... hones'ly...'

He grinned broadly and continued up to the staff table.

Sherlock sat down, briefly putting his hand on John's shoulder.

'Are you all right?' he asked.

'Yeah, I'm fine, just a headache,' said John, lifting up his head. 'What have you got first?'

'Potions,' said Sherlock. 'You?'

'Divination.'

Sherlock's arm jerked, knocking over a jug of milk. John raised his eyebrows.

'Oops.'

Fortunately, he was saved the trouble of explaining himself by Castiel.

'Perhaps you should go to the hospital wing and have Madam Pomfrey give you something for that headache,' he said.

'Nah,' said John, rubbing his eyes. 'I don't want to miss any of my new lessons today. I can deal with it.'

Harry, Ron and Hermione rose from their seats.

'Divination's all the way up the North Tower,' said John, also standing up. 'Better go. Don't want to be late.'

He smiled, patting Sherlock on the arm on his way past. Once he was gone, Sherlock breathed a deep sigh.

'What is it?' Castiel asked.

'I wasn't expecting him to have Divination so soon. When he realises what he is, it's most likely to be during that lesson.'

'I see. Are you worried?'

'I would rather be with him when he finds out. I don't see him being very happy about it. He's quite happy with not standing out too much.'

'That makes sense, but it'll happen when it happens. There's not much you can do about that except prepare yourself and what you will say,' Castiel said bracingly. 'Come, it's time for Potions.'

John was stood with Harry in an unfamiliar corridor listening to Ron and Hermione arguing about which way North Tower was.

'No, it can't be that way,' Ron was saying. 'That's south, look, you can see the lake out of that window.'

'Aha!' a voice yelled suddenly.

They all turned around and saw a squat knight in a suit of armour brandishing his sword at them from within a portrait.