Hermione's Secret

Snape awoke not long after Sherlock cast his flare. Sherlock pointed him in the direction of the lake, where Harry and Hermione had gone. He hurried away just as the castle doors burst open, and Professor McGonagall flew down the steps towards them.

'I saw your flare. What happened here?'

Sherlock didn't even know where to begin, but McGonagall didn't press the issue, especially when she saw Dean's wounds.

She conjured stretchers for Dean, John and Ron, then, just as they were leaving, Snape returned with three floating stretchers of his own, occupied by Harry, Hermione, and a gagged and bound Sirius.

'Goodness, Severus, is that Sirius Black?' McGonagall gasped.

'Indeed it is, Minerva, but perhaps it would be wise to save explanations for the Minister. In any case, Winchester needs immediate attention.'

'Yes, yes, of course.'

Sherlock narrowed his eyes at Snape, but the throbbing in his shoulder convinced him to hold his tongue at least until it had been healed.

Madam Pomfrey was not impressed when they arrived. She saw to Dean first, but there was not much she could do besides give him a potion to replenish his blood. Castiel took charge of this, gently lifting Dean's head and dripping the potion into his mouth. His skin was grey all over, but a tinge of red returned to his lips after a few drops of the potion.

Madam Pomfrey then removed the curse that Pettigrew had put on Ron, then healed Sherlock's shoulder, though Ron remained unconscious.

Sirius was taken away, presumably somewhere he couldn't escape. Then Gabriel and Mycroft arrived.

'Sirius Black is innocent,' Sherlock said before they could ask, 'but we have no way of proving it.'

Mycroft nodded. 'Ah, yes. Peter Pettigrew faked his death, did he?'

'Yes. He and Sirius are Animagi.'

'Animagi, of course. Well, I've just come from Dumbledore's office, where Snape is regaling them both with tales of how Black Confunded the lot of you. Unfortunately, that means that there is almost no chance of them believing you.'

'But you believe us?'

'Yes. I have always suspected something more to this case. There was not a sufficient investigation at the time, judging by the notes.'

'What about John? He's a Seer.'

'An untested and unproven Seer. You could try.'

'That's all we can do.'

Mycroft nodded again. 'I can't help you. I came dangerously close to losing my position trying to free the Hippogriff. Sirius Black is too much. If you'd given me a few more years, I might have been able to do something.'

'I understand.'

With that, Mycroft left again.

John, meanwhile, had begun to pull himself out of his paralysis with the help of a calming potion from Madam Pomfrey. He sat up slowly.

Dumbledore the entered the ward and sat on the chair next to John, leaving Sherlock to hover awkwardly at the foot of the bed.

'John,' said Dumbledore.

'Sir,' he replied.

'You have been given quite the responsibility, I hear.'

John snorted softly. 'Whoever gave it can take it back.'