The Quidditch Final

'He- he sent me this,' Hermione said, holding out the letter.

Hagrid had clearly been crying when he'd written it, as teardrops had smudged the ink quite badly in places.

Dear Hermione

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution to be fixed.

Beaky enjoyed London.

I won't forget the help you gave us.

Hagrid

John felt Sherlock's grip on him tighten, though he was grateful for the extra support, since he could barely feel his legs.

'They can't do this,' said Harry. 'They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous.'

'Malfoy's dad frightened the committee into it,' said Hermione, wiping her eyes. 'You know what he's like. Once he'd said his piece, there was nothing even Mycroft could do to convince them otherwise. There'll be an appeal, only I can't see much hope. Nothing will have changed.'

'Yeah, it will,' Ron said fiercely. 'You don't have to do it alone this time. I'll help.'

'Oh, Ron!' Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck.

Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her on the head. Finally, she drew away.

'Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers...' she sobbed.

'Oh – well – he was old,' said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. 'And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now.'

Just then, Dean rounded the corner. 'Hey, it's a party in the hall,' he said as he saw them. 'Whoa, you all look terrible,' he added once he got closer to them.

'It's been a long day,' said Sherlock.

'I'll say.'

'Dean, why do you stink of whiskey?' asked Hermione, waving her hand in front of her nose.

'Oh, that's not me. Cas had his first adventure with some firewhiskey today,' said Dean.

'You're joking!' said Ron, shocked.

'Nope. He was a mess, falling all over the place. I left him with his brother a minute ago. I hope they get rid of the Dementors soon,' he added with a slight frown. 'Let's go inside, John looks like he's about to drop.'

Since Black's latest break-in, it had gotten even harder to visit Hagrid in the evenings, so the best chance they had to speak to him was during Care of Magical Creatures.

He seemed numb with shock during the Gryffindor and Slytherin lesson.

''S all my fault. Got all tongue-tied They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, an' the Committee jus' did exactly what he told 'em... Mycroft was furious, o' course, but not much he could do.'

'There's still the appeal!' said Ron. 'Don't give up yet, we're working on it!'

''S no good, Ron,' said Hagrid sadly as he walked them up to the castle. 'That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that...'

He turned back to his cabin once they reached the castle steps, his face buried in his handkerchief.

'Look at him blubber!'