The Patronus

As soon as the rest of the students returned, John was bombarded by questions and requests to read the future. Somehow, they all knew what had been said by Professor Trelawney at Christmas dinner.

When Dean arrived back in the common room, it was to Ron and Harry giving Hermione the cold shoulder, and John barricaded in the dormitory.

'What is going on?' he said, bewildered.

'Harry got a Firebolt for Christmas and Hermione told McGonagall,' Ron explained moodily. 'She reckons Sirius Black sent it so she got McGonagall to confiscate it.'

'What? But he's the most wanted man in the country, he can't just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies.'

'That's exactly what I said,' Ron said pointedly at Hermione's bent over back.

'Whatever, I'm going to find Cas.' He didn't look for long. Castiel and Sherlock were just outside the common room, mumbling to each other.

'Hey, what are you two whispering about?'

'Nothing,' they said.

'What happened to your head?' Dean asked, reaching out to touch a small, purple lump on his forehead.

Cas flinched away. 'This? Nothing. I walked into a door.' He pulled out his wand and quickly healed it, leaving no trace of the bump. 'Let's go inside.' Oblivious to Harry and Ron's issue with Hermione, Cas went and sat next to her to see what she was working on.

Sherlock continued on up to the dormitory.

'For the last time, I am not going to read any tea leaves – oh, it's you.' John was peeping through a crack in the curtains of his four-poster bed, and pulled them aside when he saw Sherlock. 'Sorry, Parvati and Lavender have been badgering me all day. Can you believe this rubbish? Trelawney barely knows what day of the week it is most of the time, but they practically worship her.'

Sherlock shrugged and avoided John's eyes.

'Oh, right, I forgot you believe it too,' John said. 'But why though?'

'I'm not meant to tell you.'

'Says who?'

'No one.'

'Sherlock, come on, you have to tell me what's going on.'

'I don't know anything.'

'I know you do. What about the centaurs?'

'What about them?'

'You just said they told you not to tell me.'

Sherlock squinted at him. 'That's not even close to what I said.'

'Do you think I'm messing around? Tell me what you know.'

'I told you, I don't know anything. If you'll excuse me, I have things to do.'

'No you don't.'

'Bye, John.' He strode out of the room and John angrily pulled the curtains closed again.

Lessons started again the next day, including a Divination class in which John flat-out refused to participate in, and Sherlock pointedly avoided him all day. He was absent from the common room that evening, though Castiel was there studying with them.

'What were you talking to Lupin about, Harry?' Ron asked, balling up a failed attempt at his homework and throwing it in the fire.

'Oh, he's giving me a lesson on Thursday and showing me how to get rid of Dementors,' Harry replied.