Grim Defeat

Professor Dumbledore sent them all back to the Great Hall, where they were joined minutes later by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Castiel and Sherlock hurried over to them, Castiel shivering in his pajamas.

'What happened?' Sherlock asked.

'Sirius Black broke in,' Dean told him, handing Castiel his cloak. 'He attacked the Fat Lady.'

Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat to get their attention. 'The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle,' he announced as Professors McGonagall, Snape and Flitwick closed all the doors. 'I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances, and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbances should be reported to me immediately,' he added to Percy. 'Send word with one of the ghosts.' He paused, about to leave the Hall. 'Oh, yes, you'll be needing...' He waved his wand and the long house tables flew to the edges of the Hall, and propped themselves against the walls. He waved again and conjured hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags. 'Sleep well,' he said, closing the door behind him.

'Everyone in their sleeping bags!' shouted Percy. 'Lights out in ten minutes!'

The group, now comprised of five Gryffindors and two Ravenclaws, grabbed a sleeping bag each and dragged them to a quiet corner of the room. Gabriel then appeared beside them.

'Hey, are you okay?' he said to Castiel.

'I'm fine, Gabriel. I wasn't there.'

'That's good,' said Gabriel, relieved. 'Who's this?' he said, spotting Dean.

'I'm Dean Winchester,' said Dean, shaking Gabriel's hand.

'Nice to meet you, Dean. I'm Gabriel, Castiel's brother.'

Just then Percy came over. 'Gabriel, can you guard the main doors with Sally?'

'Of course,' said Gabriel. 'See you guys later.'

'I told you it was dangerous,' Hermione said to Dean once Percy left. 'Harry definitely shouldn't sneak out now.'

Dean looked at her incredulously. 'Are you serious? Are you really using the break in of a mass murderer to make a point?'

Hermione's mouth fell open.

'You're smart, Hermione, but you really need to learn how to read a room.'

Ron, who was angry about another attempt to eat Scabbers by Crookshanks, agreed wholeheartedly.

'What I want to know is how he got in,' Dean added, and he wasn't the only. The question that no one had an answer to reverberated around the room.

'He didn't apparate or fly in. We know that much,' said Sherlock.

'We do?' said John.

'Yes. There are enchantments around the grounds prohibiting anyone from entering via apparition or broomstick. And obviously he didn't come in through the main entrance. Not with the Dementors.'

'But didn't he get past the Dementors at Azkaban? Can't he just do that again?' said Dean.

Hermione, although a little upset about Dean telling her off, was just pleased that he was now taking the situation seriously. 'However it was that he did it, that's his only option at this point,' she said.

'The lights are going out now!' Percy shouted. 'I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!'

The candles all went out at once and the only light came from the silvery ghosts gliding around the room. Dean turned around in his sleeping bag to look at Castiel.