Professor Trelawney's Prediction

The euphoria at finally winning the Quidditch Cup lasted well into sunny June, but died down at the start of exams. Even Dean finally settled down to do some work, though Sherlock was still thoroughly disinterested.

They received a note from Hagrid informing them of Buckbeak's appeal date. It was just after their exams and an executioner was coming.

'But that sounds like they've already decided!' Ron cried. 'I've spent ages reading up stuff for him, they can't just ignore it!'

Transfiguration was the first exam they all had together. They had to turn a teapot into a tortoise. Sherlock's, of course, was perfect. As was Hermione's, though she insisted on finding fault with it. Castiel's was almost exactly right, the only thing wrong with it was that its skin was smooth rather than scaled.

John looked sadly at his. He'd managed to get it to grow legs and a shell, but try as he might, he could not get rid of its handle and spout.

After a hasty lunch, they hurried up to Professor Flitwick's classroom for the Charms exam. They were indeed tested on Cheering Charms, but John felt confident with his after the practice he'd had with Hermione. Harry overdid his a little and Ron spent the following hour in fits of hysterical laughter.

The next morning was Care of Magical Creatures with Hagrid. He provided a large tub of fresh Flobberworms and told them that, to past the test, the Flobberworms had to still be alive by the end of the hour. Since Flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, it was the easiest exam they'd ever sat. Though there was nothing much to do, John began to feel an anxious churning in his stomach.

They had Potions that afternoon and Castiel looked very pale as they waited outside. He kept as far away from the cauldron as possible, and the fact that he fought through a panic attack during the exam was success enough for him.

Fortunately, they had Astronomy that night, which was easily one of Castiel's favourite subjects. John was also surprised at how well he'd done in Astronomy, almost completely filling out his star chart.

Wednesday morning was History of Magic. John found that he knew the answers to all of the questions, though he was shaking so badly he could barely hold his quill. He got the feeling that his writing wasn't quite legible. Thankfully the shaking had calmed down by their Herbology exam that afternoon. There were no accidents with any of the tools, or with the Venomous Tentacula.

Finally, they were on their last day of exams, beginning with Defence Against the Dark Arts. John had not slept at all the night before. Every time he'd closed his eyes, he felt his heart pounding in his chest and he couldn't quite catch his breath. He'd tried gazing into the fire, but again, nothing happened. He put it down to exam nerves and spent the rest of the night studying his notes. He managed to pull himself together in time for the exam.

It was an obstacle course of all the creatures they'd studied that year, out in the grounds. John made it all the way through, to a Boggart inside an old trunk. Again, it did not show John his fear. This time it showed him a sort of floating orb, and he left feeling very confused.

The Boggart left Sherlock trembling slightly, and Castiel fell out of the trunk crying, but he'd defeated it.

'That was excellent, Castiel,' Professor Lupin said kindly. 'You've done really well.'

It affected Hermione worst of all. She burst out of the trunk screaming.

'Hermione!' said Lupin, startled. 'What's the matter?'

'P-P-Professor McGonagall!' Hermione gasped. 'She told me I'd failed everything!'

Ron was slightly inclined to laugh at Hermione's Boggart, but an argument was averted by the sight that met them at the top of the castle steps.