Cat, Rat and Dog

The sun was casting its last rays over the grounds as the four of them stood, transfixed with horror, under the Cloak. A wild howling came from behind them. It was Hagrid.

Sherlock felt very strange indeed, and John... John knew.

The silence was then broken by Ron shouting, 'Ouch! He bit me!'

They snapped back to reality by Scabbers wriggling with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

'What's the matter with him?' Ron gasped.

A moment later they found out. There in the darkness, slinking towards them, was Crookshanks.

'Crookshanks!' Hermione moaned. 'No, go away, Crookshanks!'

He ignored her and came closer.

Scabbers slipped between Ron's fingers and, before they could stop him, Ron threw off the Cloak and chased after him.

Harry, Hermione and Sherlock followed, pulling off the Cloak so it would be easier to run.

Ron dived on Scabbers and caught him in his hands.

Crookshanks was not far away, but just as they were about to throw the Cloak back on Sherlock felt his scalp prickle and he turned to see an enormous, jet-black dog bounding towards them. It too was shimmering, just like Scabbers. It jumped on Harry, using him as a springboard to launch itself at Ron. It fastened its jaws around Ron's arm and dragged him away.

They made after him, but the three of them were knocked into the air. Sherlock landed awkwardly on his left arm and felt it crunch beneath him, followed by a blinding pain. Trying to move it confirmed that it was broken. He looked up to see what had hit them and groaned. It was the Whomping Willow.

Back up at the castle, John was stumbling around the corridor. It was like he was inside a crystal ball, barely able to see ahead of him and navigating the castle from memory. He felt a shiver run up his left arm. Tears were falling down his cheeks. Buckbeak had been executed. He was trying to figure out what he should do next, when he had a sudden urge to see Professor Lupin, but he wasn't in when John opened the door to his office. He could barely feel his limbs and racing, thumping heart, and he could only hear his ragged breath. He supposed something horrible was happening to him but he couldn't identify the sensation. Vague thoughts of having a drink of water crossed his mind, but whatever was in the flask on Lupin's desk smelled awful, so John stuffed it in his pocket and left.

What now? What now? He thought over and over again.

Dean was talking to Professor McGonagall about his Transfiguration exam when he saw John stumbling down the corridor.

John briefly caught sight of Professor McGonagall before he tripped and fell over. She shimmered slightly and John squinted at her as Dean helped him to his feet.

'We'll finish this later, Winchester,' said McGonagall. 'You'd better get Watson up to the hospital wing.'

'Come on,' Dean said to John. 'Let's get you to Cas, he'll know what to do.' Dean held tightly onto John as they walked along, alarmed by his raspy breathing.

John allowed Dean to lead him along, very dazed and confused. Clouds and twisting shadows crossed his vision. He lost all awareness of where he was, and even that Dean was all but dragging him through the castle.

'Cas!' Dean called as he opened the door.

'Dean?' Cas emerged from behind a screen, hastily shoving phials into the pockets of his coat. 'What's going on?'