13

The car ride to wherever Ian was taking Max was filled with the duo talking about everything and anything that came to mind. After knowing each other for as long as they had, they'd become quite good at making conversation with each other.

"Do you think I'll be able to stay?" Max asked.

"What do you mean?" Ian asked in response.

"Do you think I'll get caught?" Max rephrased.

"As long as we're careful enough we should be fine," Ian smiled.

"I don't want to leave you."

"I don't want you to leave."

Silence fell over the two. There were unspoken words that expressed more feeling towards each other but neither had the courage to speak them.

A ding from Ian's dashboard caused both men to look and realize the car was nearly out of gas.

"Guess we have to stop at the next station," Ian sighed.

"That'd probably be helpful," Max teased.

The next gas station wasn't too far along. Ian pulled in and began filling up the tank.

"Do you want any snacks or a soda or something?" Ian asked Max while waiting for the tank to be full.

"Sure," Max replied.

Ian handed Max a twenty dollar bill. "Go in and grab something for both of us."

Max got out of the car and walked inside the small store that was at the station. He picked out two bags of chips and two sodas and went to the counter. He didn't talk to the cashier at all, not wanting his accent to come out. The cashier finished ringing him up and Max went back to the car.

When he got back, Ian was sitting inside, having finished putting gas in the car. Max got in and handed Ian what he picked out along with the change.

"Thank you, kangaroo boy," Ian teased.

"You haven't called me that in a while," Max noted.

"Bet you thought I forgot about it," Ian smiled.

"I was hoping," Max did as well.

"Isn't this nice?"

"What?"

"Just you and me joking around, having fun." Ian looked at Max. In that moment, there was no outside world, just Ian and Max.

"It is nice," Max agreed, looking back at Ian.

Eyes of soft hazel met those of ocean green, like water to earth, and the two collided. Their lips connected like waves crashing on the beach in pure perfection.

When they pulled away, they were both breathless and happy. Smiles graced both their faces and didn't dare to fade away. It was another perfect moment, and this time nothing dared end it.