5

Veronica sat ducking behind the wheel of her father's car, as she watched Lydia walk up to a group of men smoking outside the bar. She was transfixed by the way Lydia's hips swung in a confident rhythm.

Lydia took a joint from Mustang. He huffed as she took a long drag. "He's still sulking from last night." One of the other men chuckled, their voice deep and rough from years of smoking.

"Is Jones in?" She said with confidence.

The youngest boy with them, that Lydia had remembered previously talking due to how his piercing blue eyes stared down at her, stood up straight. "Be careful with him Prescott. Don't go messing about in things you don't know about, and you definitely don't know FP."

Lydia smiled. "I can take care of myself kiddo." She used the nickname her dad often used when he looked at her and wanted to see his little girl again instead of the woman she was becoming. "And I can definitely take care of him." She winked at the young boy and entered into the bar.

She breathed in heavily as she was consumed in the familiar smell of tobacco and whiskey. She nodded at two boys only a few years older than she was, they recognised her from the night before. In fact a lot of the men did, it was hard to forget Lydia a lot of people in her past had realised that.

She walked towards the bar and sat on the dark red leather stool, knowing she didn't have to flash anything to get the bartender's attention this time. As Nick, the aging before his time, Whyte Worm bartender and occasional therapist to drunken regulars walked over to the girl, cleaning a pint glass with a ratty dish cloth.

"Beer?" He asked for her. She nodded and smiled in reply.

"Is Jones in?" She realised she had now asked this twice and hated how desperate she sounded. Nick placed the pint down, the frothy head spilling over the rim of the glass. This was meant to be a game for Lydia and right now she realised she wasn't playing by her rules.

Nick's eyes quickly looked upwards, answering Lydia's question without muttering a word.

Lydia could already feel his presence from several metres away. He stood at the top of the stairs, both hands gripping the banister, smirking down at the blonde at the bar with triumph. Her hair was messier than it was a few hours ago and he couldn't help but think about anything else other than asking her about it.

"Back so soon, Lydia?" His voice was laced with cockiness. But all Lydia was thinking about was the way he said her name. It just sounded like it fit coming from the deep mumble of his voice.

"I needed a beer." She shrugged refusing to look at the older man's  eyes. They intimidating her and one thing Lydia hated was being the weaker party.

"Hmmm." The moan fell from his lips like hot syrup and Lydia had to give all her will power to not react to it.  "In my personal opinion, I always think a whiskey neat is best to drink after sex."

Lydia coughed as she felt the amber liquid escape uncomfortably down her throat. FP laughed and it echoed in the girl's mind.

"You didn't hide it very well. The messy hair, the unlaced boots, your tights stuffed in your back pocket." FP reached over the bar to grab a bottle of Jim Beam and two glasses. "Left in quite a rush then?" She finally looked him in the eye, taking the whiskey he had poured for her and drinking it down in one, feeling the satisfying burn in her throat because it momentarily distracted her from the burn his eyes left on her body.

"Who's the lucky guy then?" He said staring at her over his glass as he decided to sip his drink. Lydia cursed at how better looking he was at drinking it than she was.

"Lydia what are you doing here?" A familiar voice called from the entrance of the pub. It was weak and shaky as she felt scrutinised by her surroundings.

"Veronica!" Lydia replied in shock. She leaped from her seat at the bar and marched towards the girl dressed in a smart Peter pan collared dress and a pearl necklace. Much too innocent and well groomed for this place.

Lydia dragged the girl from her upper arm out of the pub. "What are you doing here?" She asked again hoping this time her voice would come across louder and more demanding, but it didn't it remained weak and shaky, just like it always did when Lydia stood in front of her. 

"I told you I needed a drink." She sighed at the young girl in front of her. "Now what are you doing here?"

"I er I wanted to talk to you." She stutted, looking down at her heels that had gotten scratched from the gravelled car park.

Lydia's jaw clenched. "About what? Couldn't it wait?" She felt FP's and everyone man that stood outside beady eyes burning into the skin of the two girls.

Veronica stayed silent until she felt she could actually breathe again. She looked up at the girl, daring to look into her stormy grey eyes that made her feel so helpless. "I won't be just your casual fuck anymore." For once, in Lydia's presence, Veronica's voice was strong, loud and demanding. "You either get yourself sorted Lydia and actually for once in your pathetic life commit to something or you carry on drowning yourself in worthless orgasms in attempt to feel something." A lump started to form in Lydia's throat. Veronica was right, and Lydia knew it, she just needed someone to tell her straight. "But I'm telling you one thing right now, if you decide the latter then it will not be with me!"

Veronica let out a well needed sigh and stormed away not waiting for Lydia to answer as she could no longer stand the tension between them or the men who had stayed to watch the argument. She didn't want to be there, she didn't want to be in the presence of what she believed to be worthless lay abouts, and truth to their name, snakes.

FP now leaned against the bars entrance hands in his jeans  pockets.

"So you're a lesbian?"