Illadvised

Gabriel and I passed the double doors leading to the outside world and my hand itched to grab the knife at my waistband and use it to escape, but I knew it would be useless at this moment. He was too far in front of me to reach easily and sudden movements on my part would most likely alert him to an attack. No, as much as I wanted to flee through those doors, I had to wait. I needed to find a good hiding spot for my knife and wait until the opportune moment to strike.

I felt better having a plan, though so far all of my plans had deteriorated under my own lack of self control and their unexpected ability to make me feel. Even now, the thought of thrusting the blade into Gabriel's eye socket made my lungs constrict in discomfort. When did I become such a wuss? I had to get out of here, quickly!

The song "Barbie Girl" rang out in the hallway and Gabriel stopped ahead of me to quickly pull a cellphone out of his back pocket. "Owen?" He asked, confused, and I grunted out a laugh at the ringtone. Either Owen had no idea that Gabriel had chosen that particular ring or he had a better sense of humor than I first thought. I assumed it was the former seeing as Owen could be put in the running for most dour soldier in the Queen's Guard.

Gabriel turned around, his eyes narrowing on mine and his face darkening and I knew I'd been caught. Had they actually counted the knives? I suppose I wouldn't put it past them, but this was no time to think about it. So much for the plan...again.

I spun on my heels and ran, Gabriel yelling out behind me and I knew I wouldn't have much time. The others would be coming, either thinking Gabriel needed help or to stop me from escaping. I couldn't let them catch me again, or Owen really would take me to do God knows what to me. Gabriel said he'd ruin me and I didn't doubt him. To be honest, I was sure that they all had the power to ruin me, I just wasn't sure yet if that would be a bad thing or not.

I retraced our steps, making my way back to the front door, hearing Gabriel pounding down the hallway after me. I was no good at long distance, but I could sprint. I had learned early on to be quick so I could escape my step mother when she went on a rampage. I couldn't outrun him forever, but hopefully it would be enough to get me outside. I would come up with another plan once I had my taste of freedom.

I rounded a corner and smacked right into a male body and my nose filled with the calming scent of ginger and citrus. He 'oomphed' and his hands came up to my shoulders to hold me and I reacted on instinct. My knee jerked upwards, connecting with his groin and it was Sean's voice that yelped and then groaned out something that sounded suspiciously like "not the appendage!"

Sean fell like a sack of potatoes and I leaped over him as Gabriel rounded the corner behind me. He would have caught me if he hadn't tripped over Sean's prone and moaning form and I let out a giggle of delight as I sprinted away. It was a low blow, literally, but all's fair in love and war. And this was war...definitely war.

Strong arms jerked me a stop from behind as I was held in a vice like grip against someone's chest. I reached my arms up, my hands clamping down on the giant's ears and my hips thrusting backwards, as I bent over with a fierce battle cry. The momentum sent him right over me in a blur of black and North landed with a loud thump on his back at my feet. I took a millisecond to shoot him a triumphant grin before I was planting my foot on his chest and pushing off of him to propel myself forward.

I reached behind me, pulling the knife out from the waistband of my skirt and rounded the final corner. I could see the door surrounded by windows showing the twilight sky and hope burst through my chest like a firework.

Gray smudged the corner of my vision and I turned, swiping the blade out viciously. Owen barely dodged the cut and I was sure I saw a flash of maroon flutter to the ground as he sidestepped out of the way of my knife. He lunged at me, his face terrifyingly cold and controlled and I tried to dodge him, but I wasn't fast enough. Just like before, one hand twisted into my hair as his other circled my wrist and wrenched to the side, making me drop the knife with a shriek. I only had a moment before he would incapacitate me like he did before, so instead of jerking away from him like he expected, I leaned in, pressing my body against his suggestively. As my body melted against him, I slid my free hand between us and pressed it against the front of his slacks making his whole body stiffen as he made a strangled choking sound. His grip on me loosened for a nanosecond, but it was all I needed as I yanked my wrist free and brought my arm back before throwing it forward and connecting my elbow to Owen's jaw. In the moment, it didn't hurt but I knew it would once my adrenaline was gone. His glasses went flying and the hand in my hair retreated as he stumbled away from me.