Injuries

***So...I feel like I need to run away and hide now...the final installment of Family Game Night: Part 5! Happy Reading!***

I staggered over the top of the maze wall, heading towards the exit/entrance, and my whole body dragged. I couldn't seem to catch my breath and my right leg felt heavy, almost paralyzed, from the amount of trauma it had sustained, but I pressed on. I was almost there, I was almost done. Kota wasn't anywhere around and if I was lucky, I would cross the finish line before he got anywhere near me. 

North sparing my life was a complete miracle but there was no way I'd get another pass, especially from Kota, so I had to make sure he didn't find me. He had a gun and though my straight razor had saved my life numerous times tonight, it wouldn't work against a bullet. He'd shoot first, ask questions later, and he didn't seem the kind of guy to monologue or draw out our encounter. He didn't play with his food before he butchered it; he'd simply land a bullet in my brain and call the game. I couldn't let him find me.

It was becoming too difficult to navigate my way over the tops of the walls and after memorizing the few lefts and rights I needed to take to get to the end, I carefully climbed down the hedge until my feet touched cobblestone once again. I shuffled through the corridor, mentally rehearsing the way I had to go as I gritted my teeth against the agony my body was in. I couldn't feel my toes and my leg pulsed with pain; my chest was tight and achy as I battled to keep my lungs oxygenated and my torso, which had taken too many hits from Owen and North, protested every step I took. But I hadn't come this far to admit defeat now. 

I was going to finish this, one way or another.

Taking the last corner-a right turn-I almost cried as the mouth of the labyrinth filled my vision. It was as if the clouds parted and the moonlight streamed down over me as a choir of angels sang 'Hallelujah!' and my body filled with one last burst of energy. I'd made it! I'd freaking done it! They'd tried to stop me, tried to kill me, but here I was still standing. Sure I was a little worse for wear but I'd beaten them at their own game and earned back my life. 

Those boys could suck my big, fat-

"Stop!" A cold voice barked behind me and I froze two steps from the edge of the cobblestone. I could see the grass of the lawn and the lights from the brick house, and I could smell the earthy sweet scent of the rose bushes. I was close...so close.

Hobbling on my one good leg, I turned around to face my last nemesis, my brain whirring a mile a minute as I calculated my chances of survival. Seeing as math wasn't really my subject, I gave in with a sigh and admitted that they weren't good and Kota seemed to agree as he stood several yards away with his gun leveled at my chest. His eyes were hidden behind the shine of moonlight glinting off of his glasses and I staggered back a step to solidify my balance.

"Don't move an inch." Kota commanded, his detached monotone chilling my blood, and I held up my hands in the sign of surrender. I didn't have a white flag but if I did, I'd be waving it in the air. I could barely stand, let alone fight, and he had a freaking gun!

"Kota-"

"Shut up." He cut me off and I bit my lip and shifted my weight, hissing in pain as my leg objected to the movement. "How is it even possible that you're still alive? The odds for your survival were astronomical." 

I kept quiet since he seemed to be talking to himself more than me and he closed the distance between us, keeping the gun aimed at my chest. He didn't get close enough that I could even hope of disarming him but I was finally able to see his eyes and the emerald gems stared at me in irritated awe. He expected me to die at the hands of one of the others and the fact that I hadn't irked him while simultaneously intrigued him.