Intricate

***So, it's been a bit since the last update but I was working on a project and working at my job, etc. In simple terms, life happened but I'm back. It's a bit short, I'm sorry, but I wanted to give you all something. Happy Reading!***

North and I sat in semi comfortable silence as the cookies baked in the oven, filling the room with the scent of warm sugar. Luke napped in my lap the whole time and though I wanted to get up to move, maybe go explore more of the house, I couldn't for fear of waking him. North cleaned up the dishes he'd been using, choosing to scrub the dishes by hand instead of utilizing the industry sized dishwasher but I didn't question his methods.

As North scoured the mixing bowl, I cleared my throat to get his attention. He paused for a moment before continuing with his incessant scrubbing but I got the impression that he was listening so I spoke. "Does he know?"

Realizing that my question was rather ambiguous, I opened my mouth to clarify but it wasn't necessary. North seemed to understand what I meant and, without turning around, he answered me. "It's hard to say what he's aware of and what he isn't." He rinsed the bowl, his hands red from the heat of the water as he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Sometimes, I think he chooses not to know."

I glanced down at the sleeping man in my lap and once again, sifted my fingers through his long hair. He looked so peaceful, innocent, as he breathed deeply and I felt North's eyes on me long before I lifted mine to catch him watching me. Yet again, his dark searching gaze swallowed me and threatened to bury me under his resentment and anger, but there was the slightest hint at softness that kept me from suffocating. It was deep, shoved beneath layers upon layers of rage and violent desires but I saw it flickering there like a small flame that refused to burn out, and it had everything to do with the blond dreaming with his head on my thighs. I had a feeling if I ever hurt Luke, North would disembowel me and relish every moment of it.

"Levi's harmless and though Lorelei's a moody bitch, she won't usually try to kill anyone," North's gravel voice reverberated through the still room, his black eyes focused on my face, "But they're not the only two in there. If he flips his switch, you get the hell away from him."

I cocked an eyebrow as a smile played at my lips. "For a minute there, it sounded like you actually care about what happens to me."

His face darkened and he growled low in his throat. "For some stupid reason, he likes you and if he kills you, it could ruin him." He stalked up to me, looming over me as he used his size to intimidate me and though I jutted my chin out in defiance, a shiver snaked down my spine at the feral look in his eyes. "And I don't care how many of my idiot brother's you've fucked with, I will not allow you to destroy us."

"You all kidnapped me, remember?" I snapped and his brows flew up at my harsh tone. "I'm here because of you."

He leaned in, his face mere inches from mine and the conflicted hatred in his expression was both terrifying and amusing. "And I should have killed you that first night."

"Why didn't you?" I whispered, genuine curiosity coloring my otherwise taunting voice.

He opened his mouth to retort but no words came, and the bewilderment in his eyes was enough to answer my question; he didn't know and that scared him. His jaw snapped shut with an audible clack and he jerked away from me, storming back to the sink and attacking the remaining dishes in the sink with a vengeance. I allowed him his quiet fuming and instead, focused back on Luke's soft light hair as stillness descended over the kitchen once more, though it was much less comfortable than it had been.

Our silence was broken by the kitchen doors opening as Nathan's bulky figure sauntered into the room. He did a double take when he noticed me sitting on the counter with a sleeping Luke in my lap and I watched him shoot North a confused look. They had a moment of silent communication before the oven buzzed, signalling that the cookies were done and breaking the moment. North went to tend to the cookies as Nathan approached me, studying Luke and his onesie pajamas before his confusion deepened.