Inauspicious

***So, I was going to make it all one chapter but, once again, my words ran away with me so I'm splitting it. Family game night Part 1! Enjoy!***

I was led out of the room by Gabriel as his hand gripped mine so tightly I was afraid he'd snap my small thin fingers and, shockingly, my first thought was how disappointed Victor would be if that were to happen. I snorted at my own stupidity, causing Gabriel to glance back at me with a scowl, and I shrugged in response to his questioning look. There was no point in even attempting to explain my crazy thoughts, especially now that I was walking to what could easily be my own death. I wasn't planning on dying, of course, but I couldn't see the future-I was a psychopath, not a psychic.

Gabriel guided me through the hall and down the stairs, circling behind the staircase to the laundry room where two pristine washer and dryer sets sat. I'd only seen the room once when I was with Luke and he'd had to run a load of his clothes, but during our little excursion, I'd noticed the back door that was nestled on the far wall. Surprisingly, I hadn't been quite as tempted to investigate the exit as I should've been, and I hadn't thought about the door since. That is, until now as Gabriel dragged me towards the daunting rectangular frame.

It had been an unspoken rule that I was confined to the house and it was a rule that I hadn't questioned or fought. They trusted me, at least a little bit, but that confidence didn't extend further than the walls of brick and mortar that had surrounded me for the past week, so as Gabriel hauled me through the laundry room with the intent of taking me outside, I had the strangest urge to stop him. Call it Stockholm or even just self preservation, but I was suddenly wary for leaving the security of the house. I wouldn't normally think of this house of horrors as being safe but at least I was slightly familiar with its inner workings. Outside...that was new, unknown, and though I puffed out my chest and faked sly smiles, I was terrified of what these boys could do to me, would do to me.

Yanking the door open, Gabriel paused with his foot on the threshold and appeared to be battling with himself over whether or not to speak. I waited patiently, not wanting to push him one way or the other as I subtly craned my neck to see over his shoulder, but it was dark and with only the dull moonlight for illumination, I couldn't see much. The shadows were long and black, the light from the laundry room stretching only so far into the night before the light was swallowed by the inky nothingness that lay beyond. The odd image sent a foreboding shiver down my spine and I glanced away from the gaping maw of the doorway to watch Gabriel's concerned face.

Apparently coming to a decision, he rounded on me and cupped my chin rather harshly as his crystal eyes flashed with something unhinged and wild. "If you get yourself killed, I'm gonna force Kota to somehow bring you back to life so I can kill you a second time myself. You fucking hear me, Trouble?" His deep voice was gravelly and the pressure on my jaw was almost painful enough to make me whimper but I bit my tongue to hold back the pathetic sound. "Don't you fucking die!"

I reached up with my free hand and surprised both of us when I rested my palm to his cheek, rubbing my thumb over his soft skin. He must have shaved earlier today because there was no roughness of stubble against my fingertips and I had the strangest urge to nuzzle his face with mine so I could enjoy the smoothness skin to skin. As if he could read my thoughts, the insane glint in his eyes lessened somewhat, as did his painful grip on my chin, and I swallowed my trepidation in lieu of false bravado.

"I'm not dying tonight, Gabriel." I promised, the words tasting sour from the slight hint of uncertainty. "I made it this long, didn't I?"

He snorted and rolled his eyes before releasing his grip on my face and running his hand through his hair, mixing the golden strands with the brown. "Fucking miracle."