'Happy(?)' Birthday Alec!

- :D Yesterday was Alec Lightwood's birthday according to his creator! :D Our lil cinnamon roll should be 28 now! :D So here's a fic- 

A Fray and a Lightwood walked into a bar, and all hell broke loose. Of all the nights for them to walk in, it had to be vampire night. The patrons of the cheesy corner bar were less than welcoming, a couple throwing snide remarks, and blank threats.

"Look EVERYONE!" Yelled the fiery red head. "Either you've seen him or not! We're not here for games!" All her words did was cause murderous glares in their direction.

"Good job, make them mad. I'm sure that will work"

After several tense minutes the pair were run out as they made it back out to the streets.

Alec grumbled to himself as he slipped his stele into his pocket and fixed the bow onto his back. He hated this, he hated the idea of having to work with Clary, but it was a necessary evil and what more was he than a good soldier. He continued to move forward with his long strides, Clary chasing close behind, he could hear her complaining. Was it too much to ask for to just be able to stay at home, preferably with Magnus in his arms, on his birthday?

He understood he had asked Magnus and everyone else to not make a big deal, to him his birthday was just any other day in September, but still even a party was better than this. He continued to walk on in frustration.

"Alec!" she cried out. "Wait for me!"

"Well move your little legs faster! We have to find him! I can't go home unless he is with us"

Alec and Clary had been tasked with upper eastside of Brooklyn in their search. Now why were the two-unlikely duo together? They were searching for Chairman Meow. The dumb cat had managed to wander through a portal with Magnus and never showed up at the other location. Unfortunately for Alec, Jace was away on a different assignment, and Isabelle had been adamant about running off to search with Raphael. Even Simon had chosen to search with the werewolves, and although Alec would have preferred to work alone, Clary had asked to join him. He had expressly said no, but Jace had ultimately convinced him to take her, damn his parabatai.

Alec pulled out his phone and blindly hit the redial, he knew it was going straight to Magnus'.

"Hello?' came an almost too calm Magnus from the other end. "Alexander. What's going on?"

"Mags. I'm sorry to say this, but I think we should call it a night. Me and Clary can't find him. It's getting late. I can keep looking tomorrow."

"NO! Not yet. Maybe search for another hour!" came the voice from the other end.

"Another hour? But where? No one has seen him, not Ragnor, not Catarina. Not the institute."

"Please darling, just one more hour. What if tomorrow my poor fur baby is dead? Just one more hour?" Alec listened silently as his distressed boyfriend panicked about his cat.

"Fine! One more hour. I'll keep trying. Just wish we could find something to track him"

"I know. Shame I didn't have ANYTHING to track him with. Well.... Don't let me stop you from searching. Gotta go darling. I'll call you if anything changes" and with that Magnus hung up leaving a rejected Alec.

Alec continued to search through New York with his not so secretly least favorite red head.

"So. Alec" she started trying to bring up conversation

"yeah?"

"It's your birthday, isn't it? Happy birthday"

"Thanks." He said politely.

"So. What are you going to do after this?"

"Don't know"

"You going to have a party?

"By Raziel, no."

"Why not? Parties are fun. And you are kind of dating the king of party planning."

"Because I don't like them"

"Shame. And Magnus isn't throwing one?"

"Nope! I asked him not too. And he agreed"

They awkwardly continued together for almost another hour when his phone rang.

"Alexander!"

"Yes Magnus? What's up?"

"Well. You won't ever believe it! Turns out Chairman Meow has been under the couch this entire time. Silly me. I guess I didn't check my loft thoroughly enough!"

"Under the couch? Magnus..... I've been all over New York for the past 5 hours.... And he was under your couch. This entire time?"

"Yup! Lucky me. He's safe. You can come home now darling! The sooner the better!"

Alec held back his tongue. The cat was alive, let's see how well that worked out with him when the tired Shadowhunter would get home

"I'm on my way." Was all he said.

"Fray. We can head home now."

"Really? Is it time already?" she asked grabbing her phone.

"Yeah. Turns out the cat was at home. Search is over"

"Aww. Shame. We were getting to know each other. We should do this again" she added cheerfully.

"Yeah. Let's not" replied the grouchy boy.

"Here I'll make a portal to Magnus'" she added already drawing her unique rune on the palm of her hand.

Alec made it home and opened the door. The inside was dark as Alec thanked the angel for it finally being calm. He could smell something sweet in the air, and saw the feintest sign of candles somewhere in the living room. He smiled. This was the best thing he could hope for, a quiet rest of his evening. Hopefully a warm bath, and candlelit night with his lover. He began to untie the buttons of his shirt, already anticipating the feel of his hands on his back working out the tense muscles. He let his shirt drop to the floor inelegantly, enjoying the cool air on his tired skin.

"Magnus?" he called out gently as he pulled off his belt and it cluttered to the floor along with his stele. He felt along the walls trying to find the lights, he'd gotten used to the fact that Magnus normally magicked them on. "I can't find the light switch!" He called out to the dark.

"In the living room darling! Waiting for you! Don't turn on the lights!" he heard the reply as he excitedly made his way towards him. He intended to take off his pants, but why take that pleasure away from Magnus? So all he did was unbutton them. As he finally made it to his destination when he collided his knee into the couch.

"Damnit" he muttered and heard the snickers in the room.

"Darling. Did you hit the couch?"

"Yes. Now Mags. Can you please turn on the lights?"

"Alright Biscuit! Hit the switch!" came back the reply

"What??!!???" shouted out Alec

"Surprise!" Came the voices. The sputter of glitter and party decor as the lights came and the entire room exploded in cheers, nearly driving the half-naked Alec into cardiac arrest.

"Alec! Your shirt!" Came the voice of his mother Maryse first.

"My eyes!" Came Simon.

"Dios Mio!" Raphael

"Well hello there" from Magnus

"MEOW!" From the damned cat.

Alec attempted to bolt out of the room, and of course, tripped and slammed his head on the stupid coffee table.

And that's how Alexander Gideon Lightwood got a concussion on his 28th birthday, that was also the last time Magnus ever threw him a surprise party.