Casualties Of Battle

Alec struggled to position his body. The slightest movement sending a painful shock down his spine and through an arm that he was certain was no longer attached to his body.

His remaining good hand reached over to massage his shoulder but even that was too painful. He'd lost feelings to his hand. Certain that the pressure had cut off all the circulation of it. Such a pity, it was his right arm too. Now he'd have to learn how to write and function with his left. Would he never hold a bow again in his life?

Several more moments passed as once again he adjusted his weight, again a tingling and jolt of pain shooting through his nerves.

At least he could say there was a silence. He'd never understood absolute silence to be this peaceful. If his arm was a sacrifice to attain it he'd gladly lose the other.

He took a deep sigh as a darkness pulled at his eyelids. Truthfully he wanted to close them and welcome the peace and darkness that was promised, but he had to soldier on. His mission was still not complete.

He eyed the doorway until he saw a familiar form appear. Magnus made his way towards him. His eyes puffy and a little red. Only the angels knew when was the last time he'd slept a full night through.

"Hey Magnus" whispered Alec as Magnus made his way towards him and sat across. They locked eyes in a silent understanding both too afraid to ask the question burning at their tongues.

"How's your arm?" Whispered Magnus gently.

"It's a deadweight now. It may need to be amputated. I liked this arm too" he answered trying to make a joke.

"Such a shame." 

They sat together in silence for another few moments. When Magnus finally asked the burning question.

"Is he asleep enough to move him to his crib?"

Alec looked down at the bundle that was safely tucked in his arms. He'd lost track of how long he'd sat there waiting for the little blue baby to fall asleep. Parenting was hard. And only 3 days in of having Max, his constant crying, nights of no sleep, and near constant fussiness, they could almost call this moment of silence a victory.

"I think so" he answered softly. Magnus dared the dangerous transfer. His hands nimbly going underneath the boy. The live grenade whimpered softly but did not wake as they both let go of the breath they'd been holding. Magnus slowly made his way into the nursery and deposited the infant into his crib slowly.

When it was apparent the transfer was complete he very quietly moved out of the room and shut the door. He walked back to the living room and plopped down on the couch next to Alec, who was busy trying to move the arm he hadn't moved in at least an hour and a half.

"You know what sounds like a great idea right now?" Asked Magnus catching his eyes

"Amputating my arm before the ant crawling sensation kicks in?"

"No you silly nephilim. "

"Then what?"

"How about we do something we haven't done since our darling Max came into our lives."

"Are you saying what I think you are saying?" Asked Alex excitedly.

"Yup" replied Magnus grabbing Alec's hand "we won't even have to move. Let's just do it here on the couch."

Magnus leaned in and gave a quick peck on his lips as they cuddled in close together. Alec snaked his arms around Magnus' waist and leaned back into the couch until he was laying down, Magnus' body gently over his own.

"I've missed this" replied Alec softly wrapping an arm around Magnus and pulling him in.

"Me too" was all Magnus could say before stealing another kiss. "Alright. Let's see how much time we have before he wakes up again."

"Well then let's not waste another moment." Magnus whispered and leaned his head softly against Alec's chest.

Alec left one final kiss on the top of his head and closed his eyes.

There was never a better nap in the history of all naps.

Thoughts on the story? Comment and let me know! Also please don't forget to STAR! ⭐️

Don't you just hate when your arm falls asleep? Also, whenever my youngest niece would spend the night at my house  and I finally got her to sleep, I swore if anyone made a noise to wake her, I'd commit murder.

-Got 3 stories coming up. A sad one. A Christmas one. And a continuation for 'Remember me'. ^_^