Act Like a Child, Be Treated As Such pt.1

Magnus poured another drink for himself and for his lovely blue warlock friend. He'd invited Caterina over to go over the most asinine argument he'd had with Alec that morning. In snooping Alec had found his box of mementos of past lovers, little things to help him remember that throughout his life he'd been loved. Alec had of course taken it wrong. Had somehow gotten it into his head that he too would one day just be a little trinket in a box, and worse off he'd dared imply he'd only be a spatula! Why could Alec NOT understand that what he had right now meant so much to Magnus, hell he'd burn the entire box to ashes if it meant Alec would no longer be upset. Yet at the same time, Magnus was frustrated as well, why was Alec so upset to begin with? In his LONG existence he'd had other loves, what had Alec expected? That he'd have stayed alone and unloved for his almost 800 year just waiting for some black clad clumsy shadowhunter?

"Catarina, it's not like I put them on display for him! He was snooping!" Magnus regaled the story to his longtime friend.

"Magnus, darling," she tried to sound comforting, "Understand from his point of view. He's young, he is facing his own mortality and is only concerned. It will pass. Just be patient."

Magnus took a frustrated breath and a deep swig of his drink. "I get it Cat, I really do, but he doesn't have to act like a child! And a cooking utensil? Really! Come on, why doesn't get understand he means the world to me."

"I don't know Magnus; the minds of the young are complicated things." She assured him.

"Exactly! He is acting like a child!"

"I didn't say that." Catarina corrected, not wanting Magnus to put stray words in her mouth. "And believe me, he isn't acting like a child. He is acting like a lovesick man who is fearing to not live up to a love he holds dear. A child would throw a tantrum and would be difficult. You've babysat Madzie before, remember the tantrum she pulled because she didn't get to stay up with you and Alec?"

"Ah, yes. The glitter incident of New York. I remember well. But it's the same! He's just throwing a tantrum. Maybe I should have Madzie talk some sense into him. From one toddler to another."

Catarina merely rolled her eyes. There was really no sense in arguing with someone as stubborn as him. It really did beg to question; who was acting like a child?

"Magnus, as your friend, and as someone who has no problems telling you when you are being an idiot, you are being an idiot."

"Why?" Magnus stopped to stare at her.

"This seems like something you two simply need to talk about. A simple conversation filled with honesty and reassurance." Catarina offered easily.

"You are absolutely right as always my dear! I will do exactly that! Now hold on for just a moment." Magnus said bolting up from his spot on the couch.

Catarina was startled by his quick action but was completely floored by what he did next. At the snap of his fingers a portal has opened and he'd stepped through quickly, leaving her confused and alone in his living room. It wasn't long however when a new portal opened and a confused shadowhunter almost fell through and Magnus swiftly joining behind him.

"Magnus? What's so important that you – Hello Catarina." Alec stammered out when realizing he was in new company.

"Alright he is here! Now talk to him and let him know he is being a child!" Magnus stated before plopping down onto the sofa.

"Magnus what is going on?" Alec asked in confusion "Why is Catarina here and why did you just pop up at the institute and push me through a portal?"