Chapter 5

"Rise and shine!" you exclaimed, hurling a pillow in the direction of Jungkook, who seemed determined to turn your bed into his personal haven of perpetual slumber for the umpteenth time this week.

"Why do I have to wake up at six every day?" he grumbled, stretching and yawning in protest.

"I'm up at 5:30 every day without complaints, and I even bought you pyjamas. Seriously, why the insistence on sleeping naked?" you queried, bewildered by his preference for sleeping shirtless on what was once your bed, since from the day he had become a freeloader in your house, you were left occupying the couch.

"I'm not naked. Just in my underwear. Besides, it's more comfortable this way," Jungkook retorted, getting out of bed as you quickly turned away to preserve your eyes from seeing a sight you could regret looking at.

"Whatever. I'm not keen on learning about the peculiar habits of the rich class people," you retorted, exiting the room to give him privacy.

"I'm off. Eat some breakfast and head to the address on the table," you hollered, grabbing your bag before departing for work.

Having secured Jungkook a morning gig at the local library, a place you once worked, you knew the pay wasn't stellar, but it was a starting point for someone with nothing, as he was.

You had arranged the job over the phone last night with the owner, hoping it would be a stepping stone for Jungkook to gather some funds and eventually secure better employment and a place of his own.

Hustling to catch the bus, you squeezed onto the crowded vehicle, enduring the uncomfortable proximity of strangers that public transportation inevitably entailed.

Arriving at your morning job just in time, you sighed, mentally preparing for the tasks that awaited you.

"Another ordinary day," you mused, forcing a smile as you zipped up your leather jacket, emblazoned with the name of the pizza delivery store on its back.

---change of set---

After the fateful meeting with the prospective employer you had arranged, Jungkook found himself strolling through the park, a serene oasis amid life's chaos. His gaze wandered over the jubilant families scattered across the green expanse, revelling in shared moments of joy.

His attention, however, fixated on a poignant scene—a young boy engrossed in a spirited game of soccer with his father. A wave of wistfulness washed over Jungkook as he yearned for the presence of his own father, a figure currently absent from his life as well as someone who had little knowledge of his health condition, because his uncle had left no access for him to even get near the hospital his father is at.

The fact that he was unable to glean any information about his father's well-being during the past month, sure had filled Jungkook with a lot of sadness and a heavy burden in his heart, that he was feeling it awaken as he sought solace on a weathered bench, reminiscing about the carefree days spent with his father. A bittersweet smile adorned his face, a silent tribute to the happiness that now seemed to be a thing of the past.

Lost in his thoughts, Jungkook's contemplation was abruptly interrupted by the arrival of a familiar face—one he sure wasn't expecting to see so suddenly before him. His ex-girlfriend walked right up towards him, shattering the tranquillity with unexpected intensity. 

Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise as he questioned her presence.

"What are you doing here?" His voice carried a cold edge, and he discreetly scanned the surroundings to ensure they were alone.