Chapter 6

Jungkook luxuriously extended his frame before the bathroom mirror, admiring his form in all its post-shower glory. As he went about dressing himself, a small towel was resting atop his dark, tousled locks, prompting a contemplation about the unruly length of his hair. Perhaps, he mused, it was time for a trim.

Having completed his morning routine, he ventured out, scanning the room for your presence, only to be met with solitude at 6:30, a time you were typically up and about. Despite your usual early rising to attend to daily chores, he chose not to disturb your rest today. Aware of your health condition, he took it upon himself to handle the household responsibilities and prepare breakfast.

Jungkook embarked on an early cleaning spree, then he had went on and prepared breakfast, this refreshing shower being the mark of his morning activities.  Reentering your room, he discovered you still nestled in sleep's embrace. He carefully approached you and after gently resting his hand over your forehead, he smiled at the realization that your fever had subsided.

"Y/N... Noona~~," he called, nudging you gently yet you jumped into a sitting position rather abruptly, startled him.

"What? Who? Where?!" you exclaimed, earning a hearty laugh from Jungkook, who had watched your antics play out and found your confusing and freshly awakened state rather funny.

"It's 6:35," he informed, pointing at the clock. Panic set in as you rushed to your closet, intending to skip housework and breakfast since you were late and what mattered more was to prepare for work.

Meanwhile, Jungkook observed with an intrigued expression, as you were momentarily forgotten in your morning whirlwind. However, as you began to undress, a sudden awareness caught your sleepy mind, prompting him with a swift command to get out of your room.

"Hey! What are you still doing here?! Get out!" you ordered since he didn't take any initiative after your gesture, prompting Jungkook to stand up with a bright smile.

"You don't have to be so overprotective. I've seen boobs before, you know," he teased, winking before making a hasty exit.

"I don't know how many breasts you've seen or whatever, but you ain't seeing mine, you perverted kid!" your voice echoed from the room, fueling Jungkook's laughter as he walked out and closed the door, then he settled on the couch, patiently awaiting your emergence from your room.

His mind wandered over how you will find the breakfast he cooked as he previously had fed some to your roommate and she had complimented him but he couldn't trust her judgment fully, knowing that GaYun tended to over-flatter him.

"At least I tested that it was edible," he reflected, recalling the memory of GaYun devouring breakfast and leaving without any evident health issues so it made him feel a bit more reassured. At least you won't get poisoned by the food he made. That was good enough. 

---time skip ---

In the quiet sanctum of the library, Jungkook found himself engrossed in the meticulous art of rearranging books on the shelves. It was his inaugural day on his morning job, and the serenity of the space contrasted sharply with the hustle and bustle of his night job as a restaurant waiter. Yet, even in this tranquil environment, challenges lurked—keeping order among the disarrayed books, tracking borrowers, and alerting them to impending due dates were now his responsibilities.

They didn't feel like a lot of work to him yet however and certainly, he was being enthusiastic so far, imagining himself doing this type of job for a long time in the future without being bored or bothered by it.

"Jungkook-shi?"  his focus was interrupted by a voice that called his name suddenly. Startled, he turned to the right to find SaeRi, his girlfriend, who had come to visit him after they had exchanged some texts in the morning and he had told her about the whereabouts of his new occupation.

"SaeRi, please keep it down. We're in a library," Jungkook reminded her, aware of the potential disruptions his job could face.

"Oh, right. I am so sorry... Well, good morning." She stepped closer while smiling and pecked his cheek softly making him retrieve himself away for some reason even though he couldn't understand at that moment. Why did such an unexplainable feeling of discomfort surfaced by an action that used to be very common between them?

She was his girlfriend after all. The girl that he had for so long was hanging out with, the girl he had hugged, kissed and cared for till the night that he needed her and she was nowhere to be found. That night sure had cast a shadow over their relationship that he could not take back easily. That night he was let down by her and felt betrayed and it seems he still hadn't been able to shake that feeling away from him even though they had talked and she explained. SaeRi was willing to help him now so he shouldn't be holding on to those feelings for long.

"You know you came early. I have five more hours to finish my shift, and then we can go out as promised." Jungkook mentioned, avoiding eye contact as he continued his work. A thing that she noticed and felt rather sad about it.

"I know. I will just take a seat and wait till you are done. Please don't say I can't. I want to be with you." She tugged on his sleeve and looked at him with a pleading gaze for she didn't want him to push her away and Jungkook just nodded his head, now feeling a little bit bad for his behaviour towards her since she was trying hard to correct her mistake and he had already decided to believe her explanation. So there was no point in him behaving coldly. He had made his choice with his own free will.

After receiving the positive reply from him, she perched herself at a nearby table, observing Jungkook while in her mind she continued worrying over the news she had to talk to him about.  She had promised more than just her company to him on their yesterdays' meeting—SaeRi had offered to secure him a home and a better job at her father's company. 

And because of this, unease settled in her, knowing that she had to inform him that she wouldn't be able to fulfil her words because of her father's disapproval and the fact that he had forbidden her to interfere in Jungkook's personal life for any reason.

Despite the rejection of her father, however,SaeRi was determined and unwavering, harbored no intention of conceding defeat. She just needed more time than she had originally thought since Jungkook's uncle has given tight orders to anyone who gets involved in helping Jungkook. She was hoping Jungkook wouldn't get mad at her for this failure of hers nor doubt her intentions of really helping him, but she could foresee it happening pretty easily, given the situation they were in. 

The trust he harboured towards her was shaken yet she didn't want to lose him, so she had to work hard to fix the awkwardness between them and win the Jungkook she knew, over to her side. For he was a person who was important to her and his absence sure had shaken her perfect life routine.

They had always been so great together. He was a figure that always complimented her perfectly, just by being by her side. He didn't have to do much and he didn't have to do much. They were a power couple and they knew almost everything about each other. She couldn't imagine anyone else but him, to be with her. 

 So although SaeRi wanted to get Jungkook away from this poor life and back to the status he belonged, as soon as possible, regrettably, he must endure a brief extension until she could uncover a serendipitous loophole in his favour. 

"I just hope he's comfortable with the temporary stay he is at for the moment," she mused, eyes brimming with concern as she continued to clandestinely observe him from a distance, praying that he really won't get mad at her.

---To be continued...