Chapter 8

Upon opening the door, a tantalizing aroma enveloped you, infusing instant vitality into your senses making you question over who had brought such good-smelling food inside your apartment.  As you crossed further the small corridor, however, with Jungkook trailing closely behind, GaYun's spirited greeting echoed through the air, solving your previous wonder.

"Welcome, my hardworking souls! Perfect timing," GaYun exclaimed, a warm smile gracing her face as she laid out a feast of oven-fresh chicken and cheesy-baked potatoes. 

Jungkook's enthusiasm erupted like a burst of energy. With a joyful exclamation, he discarded his bag, darting towards GaYun. He leaned in, inhaling the savoury fragrance, then enveloped her in a hug, proclaiming, "This smells divine! I adore you, GaYun Noona!"

Laughter echoed through the room as Jungkook twirled GaYun, leaving her slightly screaming"Oh My. I got dizzy." Chuckling at the sight, you retreated to your room to change and return to eat, hoping that after dinner you could take some much-needed rest.

As the minutes ticked away, the gathering unfolded on the floor, a symphony of laughter and lighthearted banter accompanying the shared meal. It felt so right, so warm and natural being among you in that very joyous atmosphere, that Jungkook caught himself feeling an unexpected sense of belonging. Thinking over this life that he was sharing with you, that lacked many materialistic things and sure was lived with many efforts at work, yet you could still find silly little things to smile about and enjoy. 

It made him feel as if your company and this small apartment had some kind of magic that he hadn't found anywhere else in his life. It had a kind of warmth that made him feel comforted and safe. Hence he was living fully in the present, unwilling to lose even a second of being there and listening to the sounds of laughter as well as gifting you his own.

However much he wished for this moment to last forever though, the dinner came to an end and chores ensued, so you found yourself alone, washing dishes while Jungkook had been the one to gather all the plates and clean the table before he had taken his leave to go sleep.

The night had settled in further, your body sinking into the couch's discomfort after the chores were done, feeling the tiredness catching into your body, and growing sleepy and heavy rather fast. Jungkook, however, found himself twisting and turning on the bed, grappling with restless thoughts. Despite the weariness, sleep was playing games with him, and so he had ended up still lying on your bed, gaze fixed on the ceiling.

In a burst of frustration, he kicked away the blankets, the weight of the news related to his uncle's influence dripping bitterly still within his veins. Unable to devise a plan to confront or outwit his uncle, Jungkook ruffled his hair in vexation. Frustrated even over why his uncle was so determined to be an obstacle in his life. He had done nothing wrong to him. All he wanted was to be able to fairly go and ask for a better position in a company since he had the qualifications and had studied for positions way better than the jobs he was currently doing. 

If he could accomplish that he could also be able to pay you back for the kindness you had shown him and get to rent a house for himself instead of feeling like a leech on your already tired shoulders. He sure was thankful to you, but he wasn't shameless enough to not be feeling guilty for being a freeloader on your house, for he could witness every day, how much work you put and how tired you get, just to make amends and see it through the month.

Jungkook's emotions were getting out of control, to the point that he grew aware that if he was to stay and dwell more in his thoughts, he would end up drowning in self-blame and self-pity and most likely wouldn't get any rest for the night. So in order to avoid that, he decided to distract himself, seeking solace in a late-night water expedition to the kitchen.