Chapter 23: Little Things you do

Zach's POV

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of bacon. Oh I want to eat it but I'm too lazy to stand up.

I finally sat up straight, messed my hair a bit, stretched my face muscles and finally opened my eyes to see where that heavenly smell is coming from.

"Goodmorning." She greeted and gave a soft smile then proceeded in preparing the round table. She looked benign, even with that messed up hair and greasy shirt.

First thing in the morning and you see that face? Am I in heaven or what?

"What is that?" My voice was still husky.

"I asked Jane and Mr. Shire if I can do something special in their kitchen and they said yes." She shrugged and smile then poured me a glass of orange juice.

"I made you breakfast." She gave me the the glass full of orange juice then went back to the round table.

"Thanks. How's your cut " I drank it and sat on the chair.

"This? It's okay, It doesn't hurt anymore. You cleaned it remember?" She smiled.

"Yep." I raised both of my eyebrows and stretched my cheek muscles to form a smile.

Then it was silent for a few minutes.

"Zach..." She sat on the chair in front of me, fixing my plate.

"Hmm?" We faced each other.

"Do..Do you wanna see something?"

HER POV

Today, I woke up early so I can ask the owners if maybe I could make breakfast for Zach, it's an act of thanking him. Gladly, they accepted, but before that, I explained everything that happened yesterday. They told me they I won't have it for free so I promised them to lend a hand at the diner; and the deal was set.

I really have no clue how work goes but I think it's just simply giving people what they ask for and you get paid for it. This is my first time to do this so he should feel special.

At 4:00 a.m., I went down to help Jane. It was pretty early but a lot of people were already there because the train had just arrived from the other side of the country.

Mrs. Shire looked radiant and young even when it's still 4 a.m. Sadly, my 4 a.m. face looks like a drooling pitbull. She wore her red bandana that matches her husband's. That ever-red lipstick on her looks amazing. It's amazing how she can pull off that Vintage-Retro vibe on her style. It' really constant; very ravishing.

"Vicky, fry up those eggs. It ain't gonna fry all by itself." She instructed me then went outside to meet orders.

"Got it." Okay now I just have to crack the eggs and figure out how that'll work. How do you open this gas tank?

Eggs first. That's what she said. I cracked the egg and the shell collapsed. The slimy egg died on my hand. Gross!

I did it again and mixed the egg in the bowl. I just made sunnyside because she didn't tell me whatever kind of egg I'll cook.

"Victoria, tell me what is happening in my kitchen." She observed my cooking.

"That is just not how you cook. You even have shells on the scrambled egg."

"Uh..that's a sunny side."

"Oh yeah? That looks like a bird crap to me." She tossed it in the trash.

My mouth gaped in surprise.

"Deary, this is how you cook a proper egg. If you want Zach to like you, you better cook something 'eatable'." She eyed me.