something real

remember me in the same way i remember you

   'I'm in love with you.'

   She finally said it, after the countless times of trying to get his attention even if she has no hope for the man living in his heart. Makoto looked at her, wide-eyed, with his thin fingers twitching.

   He doesn't want to hear this now. He doesn't want to hurt her knowing that he—silence surrounded them, and the stranger—the not so strange individual behind their back—began to wonder why, the tall man with faded blonde hair drenched in sunset, showed that kind of expression.

   'It's been... it's been that time ever since I saw on the club.' Izuki started, fidgeting before looking up to his bewildered face. 'Then I tried to find... to find you. And after knowing your name I've decided to find—'

   'So you already knew me from the start?' snapped Makoto, cutting her words as he tried to analyze her words. Makoto just realised that there's something wrong about her. She's really dangerous... and desperate to be with him. Just like him being desperate to Haru. His visible, bony jaw clenched in anger and irritation. 'And you pretended to be not to know me just to get close to me?'

   After hearing the anger in his tone, Izuki found it difficult to explain, making her stutter. 'I never thought I'd do this, I didn't...'

   On the other hand, Haru is surprised Makoto's anger. It's an expression he found rare. 'How could you do this to me?'

   Haru knew that Makoto is somewhere stuck between stress and in panic, and he has to do something about it. He really has to. After all, it's his fault.

   'Hey, what's this?' The two turned their heads in surprise as he suddenly grabbed Makoto's arm. He blinked twice in surprise, the man's arm felt thin and bony, unlike the buff, muscled one before. He got shocked when he saw his tired face. 'Haru?'

   The bright, smiling face of Makoto fell down into a dull, dark one. His eyes looked like they've sunken to the bone, his lips nearly pale as the cream of the crepe, and he's unrecognizably thin. Haru couldn't help think, after all this time, what happened to him?

   'What are you doing here?' He was taken aback immediately as he saw him expressing disappointment while his eyes pleaded to save him. 'I just saw you two... and I saw something's wrong so, yeah.'

   'Is that all?' He heard Izuki, eyebrows cocking at him. He tightened his grip as he clenched his jaw. 'No, I also wanted to talk about him...'

   Makoto's fingers twitched. 'About us.'

   'What 'us' are you talking about, Haru?'  asked Makoto as he got dragged by him. Haru ignored him, fully dragging him across the street. He then hailed a cab and shoved him first. Poor Makoto is confused, as Haru never explained everything. His heart is heavy, beating in an irregular pattern. 'What's happening, Haru?'

   He gave no answer and instead he seamed his lips. The whole ride is just full of silence, while Makoto's heart beat desperate. He wants to be calm, but he's getting no answers. As soon as they arrived, the silence they shared is slowly replaced by tension. Leaning on the wall is the thin figure of Makoto, with Haru trying to press him down. 'We need to talk about us.'

   'What us?' He asked, voice hoarse. Hearing it, Haru's brow twitched. 'I'm sorry when I did not accept your love.'

   'That was years ago, Haru. Everything has changed.'

   'Then why do I hear tender whispers of your love when I'm in your embrace?'

   Makoto did not answer. His eyes trailed down on the floor, with Haru biting his lip hard. The atmosphere of the room is a mixture of tension and coldness, whereas they looked everywhere but at each other's eyes. 'That day...that.. time... when you told me you loved me, when I told you I can't love you back...'

   Haru gave a long paused before he sighed. 'It was all a lie.'

   'Why are you pulling off the same shit again, huh, Haru?' asked Makoto, face frowning. The pupils of the man were shaking as he spoke those words, and Haru could feel all his energy being drained from him.

  It's too annoying.

  'If I'm pulling the same shit again,' He pressed his finger on his thin chest for a few times, hard enough to make him feel the pain. Haru is itching. 'Why would I keep telling you that all of this bullshit is just a lie? I loved you so much, Makoto. Do you know that? I love you when you're clumsy, when you're an idiot, scared as fuck, at your best or even when you wanted to fuck me to death, I fucking loved you!'

   Makoto showed the same stoic look while listening to him. Placing the both of his hands on his bony shoulders, he continued, 'I loved you, Makoto. From that day when I met you.'

   He expected an answer from him as he seamed his lips, but instead, he received the unconscious body of Makoto in his arms.

   Haru can do nothing but to panic.

   In the ambulance, he held his hand tenderly, with his heartbeat becoming irregular in every second. Worry is seen across in his face as he looked down on the unconscious body of Makoto. Every second, anxiety started eating him, and he couldn't think more than his safety. He isbecoming desperate at the same time he's confused.

   What's happening? He thought as he continued staring to him, hoping it's just something they could overcome together.

   The Tachibanas arrived a little later along with Rei and Nagisa, who saw Haru sitting in a slump. 'Haru, what happened?'

   He removed his hands, only to see people surrounding him with worried faces. He sighed. 'I don't know... I just... I just talked to him and all of the sudden... he.... he...'

   He trailed off his words as soon as tears started falling from his eyes. Nagisa then rushed to his side, caressing his back while whispering gentle words. 'It's okay, Haru. Everything will be fine.'

   'No, this isn't fine with me...' He replied. To their surprise, the doctor went out of the room, eyes widened with full of sweat. 'Are you the relatives of Mr. Tachibana?'

  'Yes?' Haru stood up and ran by their side, hoping for great news. The doctor showed a long look in his face, as if he is sorry. No, this can't be.

   'I don't know if you knew this, but the damage in his body is too late.'

   'What happened to our son?' asked Mrs. Tachibana, her face becoming more afraid.The doctor shook his head slowly and sighed.

   'Our findings show great damage in his lungs...I'm afraid he's in the late stage of lung cancer.'