Don't Go

TW: Death
Takes place before the events of Midnight Talks
■■■■■■■■■■

It's hard to watch a loved one die slowly in front of you. Especially when they were all you knew as a child to the age you are now. And the fact that everyone knows they aren't going to make it, but dismisses it always.

No one wants to believe such a sweet and wonderful person is going to die. A source of happiness should never die, but here we are. Watching their laughs and smiles dissapear forever.

"Kiddo, I'm okay, alright?"

Patton smiled weakly, his breathing uneven. Even though he knew well he was dying, he wore a smile for Virgil's sake.

"But you aren't-"

"Virgil. Please. I'm okay, don't worry! Everything will be fine! Like always!"

He grinned, stretching his hand as much as he could towards Virgil. He walked up and held his hsnd tightly. He didn't want him to go. Not yet. Not ever.

Patton ran a finger over Virgil's knuckles, smiling fondly.

"How about we play a game?"

"A game? Dad, this isn't a good time-"

"Then when is? I'm trying to kill time here."

"Dad, no-"

"Oh come on Virgil, a joke isn't going to be the end of you"

Patton laughed, smiling.

"Please stop."

Virgil laughed quietly, tears in the corner of his eyes.

"Okay, okay."

Patton grinned

"Virgil, to be frank with you, I know you're worried and scared. But, please know thst I'm always with you alright?"

Patton looked behind Virgil, Roman was crying with Thomas while Logan was leaning against the wall, refusing to look at the bed.

"Logan, Roman, and Thomas are all here with you. Believe in me, everything will be okay.."

The heart monitor slowed down-

Don't go, please, don't go

"But please know, Virgil, I love you..."

The machine stopped. Patton's hand fell from Virgil's, his last breath taken.

A pure and kind heart stopped forever.

Silence passed through the room-

"Virgil."

Logan spoke up, walking to the younger man.

Virgil turned to Logan, tears running down his face. He grabbed his shoulders, pulling him into a hug.

Sobs rang out from Virgil. Logan looked at Patton's lifeless body, as he started crying as well.

Please

Why did you have to go