Four

1947 September 19

I had dreamt of your soothing voice last night. I relish in the thought that one day, we can see each other without thinking of the petty words of the cruel world surrounding us. I wonder when I can kiss you without anyone gasping at the impertinence of the action.

I know we must keep our forbidden love hidden, or both of us might end up lynched in a nearby Cypress tree. And I know we need to stop meeting like fugitives in the darkness. But I beg, for the sake of my sanity;

Meet me tonight, at the same place.

I will be waiting.

C. E.

-

Camila stared at the letter covered in blood and mud. She can clearly remember that night. It was Friday. She clearly remembers because it's the day when the Duke would stroll around the town, flaunting his silk robes and satin capes. The moon was at its waxing crescent phase, aiding the darkness.

Camila wants to chuckle at how cliche she was decades ago. She can easily adapt to how the language and slang changes, making it easier for her to blend in. She can't stay at a place for long, though. People would notice she isn't growing old. 

Through the decades, she managed to move from places to places, buying lands and properties. She would often choose a Latin place, for her features easily disguises her. She would change her name sometimes, going by Camila Estrabao, Karla Cabello or anything really. Having a long name gave her a lot of choices. She doesn't want to use a name that isn't hers, for she claims that it's the only thing left from her first life.

They had been exchanging letters back then. Letters that are only signed by their initials. They had seen each other twice. Veronica looked bewitched by Camila's beauty, making Camila seduce her into finding out the truth. 

She never meant anything in that letter aside from the last three sentences.

-

"Do you just stay here?" Lauren asked.

"I do. Why?" Camila answered, munching on her plantains. 

"I mean, don't you have work, school or anything?"

"Oh. Well, I do have some business but there are people working on it for me." she replied nonchalantly.

"But aren't you like-uh, underage or something?"

"Just because I look young doesn't mean I don't know how to run a business." she winked.

"What's your business like? Gun business? Bomb business? Monkey business?" Lauren joked.

"You're right about guns, but not bombs. I hate them. Monkeys though-" 

"Okaaay." Lauren said, not really believing anything. She's thinking Camila could have possibly inherited some family business, since she mentioned her parents are no longer around. Her mind drifted to flower shops, restaurants, or bookstores. Because Camila looked like someone who loves those type of things.

Well, Camila kind of inherited the business --from herself. And it's not just about guns. It's a lot more than that. Having a lot of money made it easier to place the names of her assets to anonymous. From construction companies to specializing in lightweight metals engineering and manufacturing. Dave mostly handles the physical meetings, acting as the representative of the faceless owner.

There is only one company which Camila shows her face to. It's a small animal shelter down in fifth avenue. It's where she got Byrd as a puppy, deciding to buy the company. She would visit every now and then, making sure the animals are being treated right.