02. Party Crashers

As I stood in front of the two story, modern style home belonging to The Twins I tried to muster up the courage to ring the doorbell.

Mom drove me and offered to stay until I went inside or changed my mind, but I declined. She was right before. We weren't in Adsgrove. These aren't my so-called friends. This was an entirely new experience for me. One that could potentially be the best thing to ever happen. Or the worst.

Besides, I couldn't back out now. I had already texted them that I'd be coming. It felt like signing a contract with a demon. Not that I thought Kimber and Jem were demons, I'd just been watching far too much Supernatural.

I should have rung the doorbell by now, but I hadn't. My hand wouldn't detach itself from my oversized tote bag that held everything I needed for the night. Looking down at my hedgehog-printed pajamas, I wonder if I should've shown up in normal clothes and then changed? Was I supposed to bring a sleeping bag? Or a gift for the hostess?

Why did my brain insist on stressing over every little thing?

"Did you forget how to use a doorbell?"

I looked over to see a curvy girl with dark hair and eyes standing beside me. Mostly, I noticed the fact that she was in pajamas and carrying nothing but an overnight bag. I relaxed a little.

"No, just having an existential crisis," I chuckled.

"Anxiety?" she asked, reaching over and ringing the doorbell. "I have pills for that."

She starts reaching into her bag and I shook my head, causing her to stop. "That's alright," I said. "I'm fine."

I never liked taking medicine for many reasons. Mainly, because it was gross. Also, because I didn't understand how a tiny pill was supposed to stop my brain from over-thinking. Was it a form of mind control?

The door opened up, revealing Kimber and Jem. They wore matching sleep shirts and knee high socks with bunny slippers.

"Vivian, Loren," Jem squealed, grabbing me and the other girl, Vivian, by the hands and dragging us inside.

"Guys, our two final guest are here," Kimber shouted as she ran ahead of us.

The living room looked like a cotton candy wonderland. With piles of pastel-colored pillows, blankets and stuffed animals. There was a table full of different kinds of sweets and drinks. Everything was set up in front of a huge flat screen which was currently playing music. They really went all out.

There were three other girls in the living room who Jem introduced to me as Chelsea, Riley and Ava.

Even though my eyes were focused on my white Converse I could feel their eyes on me. Wondering about the new girl. Who was she? Where did she come from?

"Here, let me take that," Jem said, taking my bag from me. My finger were stiff from holding onto it so tight. "I'll put it up in our room with the others."

She also offered to take Vivian's bag, but she declined.

"Oh," Kimber squealed again. "The song is on."

She began pushing pillows out of the way to make room on the floor. The other girls, minus Vivian who was occupied with her phone, joined Kimber.

"Come on, V," Jem said, waving her over.

"I wish I could, but I really don't want to," she said, not looking up from her phone.

"Come on, Loren," Riley said, pulling me up from the couch. "We'll teach you the steps."

"No, I'm fine with just watching," I protested, but they weren't letting that slide.

For months after Mom announced the move I planned out how I intended to live my life and now I had the chance to put that plan into action. They weren't worried about where I came from or what my story was. All they wanted was for me to join in on the fun. So, I did.