38. Family Dinner

Miles and I left after I changed into some jeans to be a little more presentable. I also grabbed one of the two pans of peach cobbler. There was no way Mom and I were going to eat all of it. Besides I couldn't show up at the Fisher's empty handed.

The rain had let up a bit but the sky was still dark with rain clouds and the rumble of thunder could just barely be heard over the music in the car.

Miles had an intense look on his face as he drove, like he was deep in thought. I was afraid to even say anything because I didn't want to interrupt his thought process. When we pulled into the Fishers' driveway Miles turned to me.

"Last chance," he said. "We can leave and enjoy that dessert alone."

"It's too late," I told him, nodding towards the porch where Cameron stood waving. Had he been standing in the rain waiting?

"Great," Miles exhaled, turning off the car.

As soon as we were inside the dry, warm house, Cameron relieved me of the heavy glass dish holding the peach cobbler. There was an array of delicious smells coming from the kitchen, making my mouth water.

"Everyone's in the family room," he said before disappearing into the kitchen.

By 'everyone' I assumed he meant the younger crowd because the adults were being very loud in the living room. Miles started down the hall and I followed.

"Shouldn't we go say hi?" If this were my grandma's house and someone came in and didn't greet her first she'd embarrass them in front of everyone.

"This family isn't that formal," he told me.

The family room was just as loud as the living room and there were only three people down there. Cameron's younger brother, Ryan, sat in front of the small TV playing a video game, the main source of the noise. On the couch was a girl with short, blonde hair, her legs draped over the lap of a guy with dark hair and a full beard. They both looked only a little older than us.

"Miles," the girl squealed when she noticed us, her cheeks dimpled as she smiled. "Where's that twenty you owe me?"

Miles simply laughed at this. "I missed you too, Brit." To me he said, "That's Cam's sister and her boyfriend—"

"Fiancé," the girl corrected, flipping Miles off with her ring finger.

"--Fiancé, James," Miles finished, then pointed to me, "This is Mermaid."

My eyes rolled at him. "It's Loren." They flashed friendly smiles before going back to their hushed conversation.

Miles looked at me with wide eyes. "Since when?" I elbowed him, holding back a laugh.

"Hey, Miles," Ryan called out, finally pulling his attention away from the TV. "Wanna play the game with me?"

"Yeah," he said, grabbing the other controller. "What games you got?"

Cameron appeared behind him, slapping his hands down on his shoulders. "I actually need to borrow you for a minute."

"Come on, Cam," Miles shrugged his hands off his shoulders. "I promised Ry I'll play and I don't go back on my promises."

What happened next could on be described as weird. Miles and Cameron exchanged a series of raised eyebrows, sharp looks and sighs. I knew they were close, just not so close that they didn't have to use words to communicate.

"I'll be back," Miles said to me, handing me the controller before following Cameron up the stairs.

I had no idea what that was about. Miles looked like he was on his way to the electric chair as he stalked up the stairs. Why was he so against coming when normally he was here every other day? Maybe I shouldn't have pushed him to come.