32. Third Times A Charm

Mom really liked this guy. It was apparent by the huge, red grin on her face and the way she looked at him. Her eyes were practically pulsating hearts.

She's dated a few guys since Dad. I was never introduced to any of them, not that I wanted to be. It was nice with it just being us two. The house was always quite, I got to walk around without pants, the wi-fi was never lagged because I was pretty much the only one who used it. Mom and I had the perfect little set up and I didn't want another person in the mix.

But the way she looked at Tyler with hearts in her eyes and a permanent smile on her face reminded me, once again, that things change. Mom and Tyler could get serious and suddenly I'd have a step-father and brother.

"You gonna finish that?"

I looked over at Anthony who was pointing at my dessert with one of his chubby, dark brown fingers. My stomach was stuffed to capacity with the chicken pasta I had earlier, so I slid the untouched red velvet cupcake over to him.

Anthony seemed like a cool kid and I wouldn't mind having him as a brother. So far I've learned that he liked, no, loved, all things tech. He proved that by listing all the reasons why my "outdated" android phone was inferior to his iPhone. But him being a fan Supernatural made up for that.

"So, Loren, your mom says you're thinking about studying fashion in college," Tyler said, bringing the conversation to me, my least favorite subject.

Just as I was getting into the whole living-in-the-moment thing, I was forced to look ahead. Past the linen-covered table we sat at, past the weekend, past my junior year and senior graduation.

College wasn't that far off into the future. I couldn't help but wonder where Miles and I would be by then. God, we hadn't even gone on an official date, yet there I was wondering what the future held for us.

"Yeah," I said, finally. Forcing any other thoughts of the future out of my mind. "I'd like to open my own clothing store one day."

"When that happens," Anthony piped up, in between bites of the cupcake. There was cream cheese frosting at the corner of his mouth. "We should go into business together. I have this idea for -" He paused, glancing around the restaurant as if there were spies everywhere. "Not here. We'll talk later."

He went back to his dessert and I held back a laugh.

+ + +

"I can't believe you fell asleep on him, Lo," Nikki cackled over the phone.

Mom and I made it home from dinner with Tyler and Anthony about thirty minutes ago. I told myself to be in bed by eleven and I kept looking at the time on the laptop in front of me. It was a little after ten which meant I had almost an hour to brainstorm date ideas with Nikki. Time that was being wasted by her fascination with me ruining my date with a nap.

"Focus," I hissed. "I need ideas."

"Oh my God," she cooed. "You really like him, huh?"

I chewed at my bottom lip to contain my smile. If you'd told me a month ago that I'd be at my desk making a list of date ideas for myself and the guy who almost drowned me, I would've died of laughter. But there I was doing exactly that.

Then it came to me. A date idea I knew Miles would appreciate. "Never mind," I mumbled into the phone, a small smile taking over my lips. "I think I have an idea."

"Tell me," she demanded.

"Later," I told her, pulling up Google maps. "I have some planning to do."

+ + +

Miles gave me a quizzical look from the passenger seat of my mom's car. He'd been impatiently asking me "are we there yet" like a child. Once the car was parked and we'd arrived at our destination he was silent.