26. The Maze

The impact of crashing into the mysterious person knocked the wind out of me. In the dim light of the hallway I could make out Miles's grinning face easily. Did he hear what Vivian said only seconds ago?

"Did I scare you?" He smirked. I relaxed, realizing my secret was safe for at least a little while longer.

"Yes, you have to stop that," I said, biting back my own smile.

Fully aware of the lack of distance between us, I took a step back. His hands tensed around my waist, only for a moment before dropping to his sides. Or maybe I imagined it.

"Come on, I want to show you something." He held his hand out for me to take.

Without hesitation, I took it. He led me back into the office. It was getting harder and harder to suppress my feelings for Miles. He had this... thing about him. Like a moth to a flame, I was drawn to him.

Maybe it was the way he floated through life, despite the heavy stuff that was obviously going on in his life.

Maybe it was that, like me, he held onto secrets. Secrets that he buried under a well-placed smile or a joke.

Whatever it was, it had me hooked.

He lead me through a set of glass double doors on the far side of the office, leading out to the backyard.

"Where exactly are we going?" I wondered.

It was unusually warm for a November night, which I was grateful for. As cute as my dress was, it wasn't meant to keep me warm. Not everyone ran hot blooded like Miles. 

"It's a surprise," he replied, shooting me a playful grin over his shoulder.

The Hernandez's backyard wasn't as large as the front, but it did house a pool, hot tub, a sitting area and what looked like a garden maze.

The maze is where Miles headed towards and followed close behind.

Upon entering the maze of tall hedges, there were two paths to choose from. Miles didn't seem to be sure which way to go. I was starting to doubt that he was sober enough to get us through it.

"This way," he announced after a few beats. He pulled be along as he lead me down the path on the left.

My heart was practically leaping out of my chest as I ran to keep up with him. Maybe it was the adrenaline of running around a maze at night or maybe it was the idea of being alone with Miles. Either way I didn't want it to end.

However, our sprint through the hedges did come to an abrupt stop when we got to a dead end.

"This isn't supposed to be here." Miles scratched the back of his head, turning to me with a sheepish smile.

"We're not going to die in here are we?" I half joked.

"I've been in here a million times," he defended. "I know my way around."

He didn't look as confident as he sounded. Still, I trusted him.

As he assessed the various paths, I couldn't help but notice the way his thumb absentmindedly stroked the back of my hand. The small movement had a big effect on my breathing.

I was so focused on our hands that I almost missed the fact that he had started walking again.

After three more dead ends and circling back to the entrance twice, we made it to the center of the maze. It looked like something you'd find in a fairy tale book.

There was a glass gazebo in the middle, large enough to fit in a couple regal style chairs, a coffee table and chaise lounge.

"Wow," I exhaled, taking in my surroundings.