25. Insecure

"Got a hot date?"

It was Thursday night and Mom was all dressed up for a night out. Unfortunately, it wasn't to join me at Victoria's party. She and her new friend, Tyler, had already made plans.

The grin on Mom's face grew wider as she adjusted the straps on her red halter dress in the bathroom mirror. She always looked stunning in red.

"Tyler is taking me to that French restaurant downtown," she gushed excitedly.

Mom's been on a few dates before, I've never seen her this excited. Her giddy attitude was contagious and I found myself smiling uncontrollably as well.

"It's a school night, so you be home at a reasonable hour," I said, wagging my finger at her.

She shook her head at me. "Speaking of school, did you finished your homework?"

"I finished most of the assignments that are due tomorrow."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Most?"

"All. I said all," I said, flashing an innocent smile.

"If your extracurricular activities are getting in the way of your school work—"

"My grades are fine," I assured her, handing her a pair of tear drop earrings. The chandelier earrings she had on were too flashy. "I might even get a grade above a C."

She fake gasped as she switched her earrings. "How do I look?"

From the red dress, to the perfect chignon she styled her box braids into, only one word came to mind. "Gorgeous."

Her grin was back and wider than I thought possible. "Now when are you getting ready?"

I glanced down at my fluffy, pink robe that once white. Stupid, sneaky socks.

"As soon as you leave so you won't see the very revealing dress I plan on wearing."

She shot me a look, just as the doorbell rang. Mom checked herself in the mirror one more time before giving me a quick peck on the cheek and hurrying downstairs to greet her date.

Once Mom was gone I went into my room.

The dress I was wearing tonight was on my bed. A black, off the shoulder body con dress with quarter sleeves that I borrowed from Chelsea.

Slipping out of the robe and into the dress, I'm shocked by my reflection. It was weird seeing myself in something other than jeans and T-shirt.

Before I could talk myself out of going to the party, I put on some black heels, grabbed the car keys and left.

The Hernandez household was further out than I thought. But after a twenty-minute drive I finally made it to the mansion-like house. Their house was so large that there was even a valet to take the car. I was completely out of my comfort zone.

Even more so when I stepped into the massive house. My house probably could've fit in the foyer.  The security guard at the door asked for my name, then said something in his ear piece before letting me pass.

Not even a minute later a short, blonde woman appeared in front of me with a clipboard and a wide smile.

"Hello, Loren. I'm Georgia, Victoria's assistant. Well, one of them," she giggled. "But tonight I am your assistant."

"Why?" I uttered.

"To make sure you have a good time," she explained with a loud laugh. "And to make sure you don't skip out before she has a chance to talk to you."