33. Soft Spots

When I stepped into Mrs. Hawk's classroom for our morning meeting to discuss the fashion show everyone went silent. It wasn't hard to figure out why. Vivian sat at one of the desks up front, a friendly smile on her face.

"What's going on?" I asked, cautiously.

"I want to help with the show." A laugh threatened to escape my throat. Vivian must've picked up on my skepticism because she added, "I'm serious. I know I haven't exactly been nice to any of you, but I want to make up for it. Make amends or whatever."

I didn't trust her, and from the collective silence and uneasy glances I figured I wasn't the only one. It was a little convenient that she wanted to help now that Miles and I were together.

"Come on," she pleaded, standing up. "Riley, Twins, you've known me since third grade. You know I'm not a mean girl."

"Well, you should win an Oscar for your performance since school started," Chelsea said, dryly.

"I know I've been difficult lately," she agreed, pulling a hand through her hair. "I've just been having a really crappy year with my dad leaving and my mom always working. I haven't been thinking straight. Just let me make it up, please." That last part was mostly directed at me.

She was practically begging, which I might have enjoyed watching if I didn't feel so bad for her. I knew the impact of parents splitting up all too well. Still, I was hesitant to accept her help on this project. What if she wanted to sabotage it from the inside?

"Alright, I made my plea," she said, grabbing her purse. "I'll leave you to make your decision."

Once she left the room all of the attention was diverted to me.

"Do you think we should let her help?" Jem asked, tentatively.

On one hand I've been her target for a few weeks and I didn't completely trust her. On the other hand she was their friend and according to them she hasn't been acting like herself. Maybe she did really want to make amends.

"You guys know her better than I do," I told them with a shrug. "So, if you think we can trust her..."

"She has been acting more herself these past few days," Riley commented.

"And she has had a tough go of it," Kimber added with a frown. "I didn't even know about her parents. If our moms split up I'd probably act a little crazy as well."

After a little more discussion it was decided that Vivian be allowed to help. Kimber volunteered to keep an eye on her. The whole thing still had me on edge. I wasn't used to giving people second chances. Getting burned once was enough for me. But considering how many second chances I've had recently I decided to push my biases aside and trust the girls.

+ + +

At lunch Miles was at my locker, focused on his phone, too focused to even notice I was standing beside him. Remembering his reaction from the last time, I poked his neck, right behind his ear. That got his attention.

"How much do I have to pay you to forget that?" he asked, putting his phone away and moving from in front of my locker.

"There's not enough money in the world to make me forget your giggle spot," I told him as I opened my locker and unloaded my textbook into it.

"Please don't call it that. I have a rep to protect."

After closing and locking my locker back up, I slipped my hand into Miles's and we headed for the cafeteria. The fashion show preparations were on hold for that day because the girls had to get ready for an upcoming pep rally, which meant extra practices.