30. The B Word

My alarm went off right on time Monday morning. I reached over, tapping my phone to dismiss it. I'd been up for at least an hour, sitting at my desk and watching YouTube videos on my laptop.

Sleep was sparse the night before. Not because of bad dreams or memories. It was because of this fizzy, bubbly, giddiness that came with the anticipation of seeing Miles again.

We hadn't talked since Saturday night because I was busy moving my furniture into my room—which took all day due to my lack of muscle and endurance.

Miles and I had kissed and I didn't know what came next. It's not like I was expert on the subject. All I knew was that I hadn't felt this happy in a while and I didn't want it to end anytime soon.

My phone dinged with a text from Nikki. She was always up early since she needed to catch the city bus to the private school she attended.

Nikki:

Just don't think it to death

Take it one step at a time

And don't get pregnant

I snorted a laugh at how random that was. I'd just told her about the kiss. I wanted a good twenty-four hours to myself before telling anyone.

Nikki:

Maybe my mom will ease up on the boy ban if you had a boyfriend

Loren:

Wow

I thought you were rooting for my happiness

But you're just using me

Nikki:

Two birds, one stone

My eyes rolled as I sat my phone aside. Nikki was right, I couldn't over think  that Miles and I were...a thing. If I allow myself to go down that road I'd never be able to talk to him again in fear that I might do something to screw it up.

+ + +

Trying to retrieve my textbook from my locker without having any of the half-finished clothes for the fashion show fall out was a struggle. We needed a proper place to store those things, because my locker wasn't big enough.

Just as everything began to fall out, an extra set of hands swooped in to help.

"Geez, and I thought my locker was a mess."

The fizzy, bubbly feeling started up again at the sound of his voice. He held everything else in place while I pulled out the textbook.

"Thanks," I said, after closing my locker and turning to face him.

"You haven't fled the country," he commented, adjusting the strap of his backpack on his shoulder. "That's a good sign."

"Funny," I said, playfully glaring at him.

"It's not my fault you're so skittish," he laughed.

He had a point. Surprisingly, I had no desire to run this time. Not overanalyzing the moment, I leaned up and kissed him. It was meant to be short and sweet, but he pulled me close and deepened the kiss.

"No P.D.A on school grounds," a teacher warned as she passed.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment as Miles and I separated.

"I have to get to class," I told him, hugging my book to my chest.

"Wait, what are you doing for lunch?"