31. A Second Chance

The next morning, I was up before my alarm again. This time it was due to the sudden burst of inspiration I had after my talk with Mom.

Instead of completely scraping the previous designs I did what I did best and altered them, adding my usual flair to each piece.

I took the plain, peach top Victoria frowned at and added layered some fake pearls to the front, making it look like a necklace. I also covered the holes in the shoulders with white lace.

There was also a pair of basic black shorts that I redesigned by replacing the front left side with a piece of blue denim. Then I decorated the patch of blue with sew-on patches from the school's shop.

That's all I could get done before Mom busted into my room at one a.m. demanding that I go to sleep. Which I did for only a few hours before the itch to continue my designs woke me from my sleep. I was glad my alarm went off because now I can use Betsy again. My fingers were beginning to cramp up from sewing by hand.

"Did you go to sleep last night?"

I jumped at the sound of Mom's voice from behind me.

"Yes," I said, turning in the chair to face her.

She didn't look convinced. "For how long?"

"Long enough." I flashed her an innocent smile. In an attempt to deflect the conversation I lifted up the newly designed peach top. "Isn't it cute?"

For a moment it looked like she wasn't going to fall for my antics, then I smile I hadn't seen in a while stretched across her face. Her proud mama smile, which meant her proud mama hug was coming next.

I was consumed in a bone crushing hug that left me gasping for air. "I'm so proud of you," she said, releasing me from the hug. "I knew this move would be good for you. For us."

I nodded in agreement, thinking about everything that had happened since moving to Westbrook. It's funny how, even though we only moved about an hour away from our old house everything was so different. Like I moved to an entirely different state or something.

"Oh, before I forget," Mom said, just as she started to leave the room. "Tyler wants to take us out to dinner tonight. You can meet his son, Anthony."

"Tonight?" I said slowly. After bailing on Miles last night I really wanted to make things up to him. "What time?"

"Reservations are at eight," she replied before leaving.

In between after school tutoring with Cameron and the dinner I had a few hours to kill. Maybe I could squeeze in a small date with him.

My phone chimed with a text. It was from Miles. Could he feel me thinking about him?

Miles:
Want a ride to school?

Loren:
Yeah

Miles:
I bet you do

Shaking my head at his reply, I rolled my eyes and laughed a little.

Loren:
Asshole

Miles:
I'll be there in a hour

An hour and a half later the doorbell rang. I hopped up from the sofa, grabbing my backpack and the pile of revamped designs before opening the door for Miles. My eyes were instantly drawn to the familiar beanie on his head.

"Nice beanie. Where'd you get it?" I challenged, stepping out into the cold November air and locking the door behind me.

He chuckled as we started back to his car. "I snatched it off some hobo."