V

V

"Attara?" I heard my name being called followed by a steady knock on my door, "Miss Attara?"

"Yes Maggie," I responded as I readjusting my head on the pillows. The door knob turned and Maggie entered the room holding a silver tray in her hands.

"What is that?" I asked, pointing a finger at the covered tray.

"Your supper, leftover stew from yesterday, baked potatoes, a salad, juice and some water. I am sorry Bri consumed all the Pilau though." I laughed at that and she gave me a really wide smile.

"It's okay. I am glad that she has an appetite. Where is she by the way?" I asked, realising that my daughter was not with her. I was not so sure that Maggie would leave the toddler all by herself.

"She's asleep." Maggie told me as she set a very full tray on my bedside table.

"Already?"

"Yes, Master Troy left instructions that you should be allowed to rest. So I fed her and put her to bed, before bringing up your supper."

"Thanks Maggie." I said, pushing a spoonful of the hot stew into my mouth. The woman smiled at me again, before pouring out the fresh jug of passion juice into a crystal glass. "Where is Troy now?" I asked her as I stuffed my face full of roasted potatoes and the salad. Yes, I was that hungry.

"He left an hour ago to pack. After that David is going to take him to the." At that, my face scrunched up as my forehead furrowed in confusion.

"I thought he was supposed to leave sometime tomorrow morning?"

"He is. At one in the morning which means that he has three hours before his direct flight to Darwin. He should make it there by four."

"Oh, Okay." I replied, suddenly feeling deflated. I saw the concerned look in Maggie's eyes, but she did not say anything, and for that I was extremely grateful. If she had though, I did not know what I would have said. I had thought that I'd finally be happy now that he was leaving, but I was not. Instead, all I felt was this great, deep dark empty blackness and not joy, not peace and definitely not relief. I had been so used to being mad and taking it out on him that now that he was not here, I felt like I had lost my purpose. I was so alone and so empty with no friends or family to put up the act for. All I had was just Bri, Maggie and a whole lot of people who knew nothing about me or my past with Troy. I finished the rest of my meal in silence, grateful that Maggie did not seem inclined to talk. In fact, she seemed so lost in her own thoughts and only looked up when I finished my meal and she handed me a glass of water and some pills chug down.

"I'll leave them here just in case you want some more juice or water." she told me pointing at the two jugs that had been left standing on the little table beside my bed.

"Thanks Maggie. I'm sorry I had to get ill before you even arrived." I answered her as I slid down to recline under my covers.

"It's nothing. It's not much work and I have more than enough time to rest " I nodded my head, letting out a yawn as my exhaustion began to kick in. "Good night, Miss Attara." The woman told me as she turned to leave.

"Goodnight Maggie. You're the best." I mumbled back as the drowsiness took over and I fell into a deep dreamless slumber.

***

"Mummy! Mummy! Tis uncle Dom." Briella squealed as she barged into my study, a huge ball of joy and excitement.

"Is it now?" I grinned as I took my cellphone from the hands of the overexcited toddler. "Have you spoken to him?" I asked as I lifted her to sit on top of my desk.