History 101

Dearest diary,

A few months ago, if you'd have told me that I would be sitting in my study working my butt off and straining like a packhorse under a load of paper, just to get a week off, I'd have keeled over and laughed in your face.

Bear in mind that that would not have been an easy feat to accomplish especially since I was working so hard to establish my indifferent facade that I'd not have it broken by just a few seconds of inane laughter.

However, a lot has changed since then. Mostly, my perception of joy, forgiveness and spirituality as a whole.

Today, I actually value family and I am no longer trying to run away from them every opportunity I get, even when they accuse me of being a bold faced ninny with no aversion to prostitution in order to get just an ounce of male attention!

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

"Hey,"

"Hi," I say, turning around in my seat to face my sister Shea. "What's up?"

"Uhm... Mum is asking to see you. That is if you are not too busy." she tells me awkwardly.

We haven't spoken much since that time yesterday and even though I'm nolonger that upset at her, I can tell that she still feels uncormfortable around me.

"Okay, I'll be there in a moment."
She nods as she moves to close the door behind her, but I stop her.

"Shea?" I call out and I hear her release a laboured breath. It's as if she knows what is on my mind and is now regretting not escaping fast enough.

"Yea?" she finally tells me, closing her eyes in exasperation.

"There is no need for you to walk on egg shells around me. I really don't hold anything against you."

"You don't?" she asks with a puzzled expression on her face.

"No. It's true that you got your facts wrong, but you're my sister and that is what is most important."

"Okay... Who are you and what have you done to Attara?"

"Very funny Shea." I tell her laughing."It's still me, but I found out the hard way that it takes too much energy to remain angry and unforgiving. In fact, it's downright poisonous and hazardous for the soul."

"Owky! I'm still not buying any of it."

"Fine. Just tell mum I'll be there in a while." I say eyeing the phone that has started vibrating on my desk. "Right after I get this call."

Shea nods and walks out, giving me the privacy that I need for my upcoming conversation.

"Hi dad." I say into my receiver smiling.

"How are you Attara? How is everything?"

"It's great." I reply truthfully.

"Even with your mum and sister there?"

"Yea. We've had some issues here and there, but we are ironing them out."

"Yea, Dominic told me about that." he tells me with a laugh.

"He did?"

To say the truth, I'm shocked.I thought mum's issue was another big secret as it turns out, it was not.

"Yea. You people think you can hide stuff away from me, but I have my ways."

"So you're not angry?" I ask him even more surprised.