IX

Dearest diary,

Madness! That's what surrounds me. I thought I was weird, but the level of crazy that is around me is on a whole new level. It is in discriminatory; from the toddlers all the way to the grey haired gentlemen and even I am not spared. I believe if I wasn't a victim of such madness, I would probably find it entertaining. But like they say, Mkuki kwa nguruwe, kwa binadamu mchungu. Thus I find this breed of craziness quite appalling and I don't care what you have to say about it, I don't like it, I don't like it and I don't like it. Full stop! I KNOW! This is my own breed of crazy.

***

'Little Kimeu ran to his parents and promised never to heed the words of a stranger over his parents' again.'

"The end!"

I saved this new ending and moved on to print the manuscript that I planned to give to Linda that afternoon. It was Wednesday again and apart from finishing the book, there wasn't much I had been able to accomplish those last three days.

"Miss Attara. David is here." Maggie told me from the hallway and I jumped back in surprise.

"Invite him in. I'll get ready in a minute." I told her, throwing in the sheaf of papers into a white folder before rushing up the stairs to get dressed. I pulled on a pair of black narrow trousers, a dazzling white dress shirt and a pair of pointy nude flats which I paired with a gold necktie necklace and huge black handbag where I hoped to fit in my folder. I threw on a nude coloured half-coat and dashed out of the bedroom to meet David in the living room. "I'm so sorry I'm late. Lost track of time there," I told him as I droped the folder into my bag. David smiled back, I think it meant that we were friends now.

"It's okay. Shall we go now?" I nodded as I gave Bri a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"What will you bring me mummy?" she asked as she turned away from her Tom and Jerry cartoon.

"How about Bhajias?"

"What's that?" she asked wrinkling her little nose at me.

"Why don't you wait and see?" She seemed to think about it for a moment, then she nodded and I gave her another peck before rushing out after David who had already started the car.

"Are you excited?"

"I don't know." I answered breathlessly. "If I were you I would be worried since you'll be owing me five thousand shillings at the end of this month."

He laughed.

"I have faith in my God. He won't let me down."

I nodded. Just then my phone rang and I turned it over to stare at the strange number that still bore the local area code; Two- Five-Four.

"Hallo?" I said without any second thoughts.

"Attara? Attara Durnham?" It was a new voice and I did not recognise it at all.

"Hi,This is she, how can I help you?" I heard some rustling of paper and eventually, she responded.

"My name is Mina. I was given your number by Dominic. He said that you are looking for a job."

"Yes." I replied softly.

"We have some job openings here at the embassy, why don't you email me your papers and we can see if you are a fit for any of those positions?"

"uhm okay..." I answered her awkwardly.

"Fine. Send me your email address and I will send you the job particulars." I agreed and she hanged up in order to allow me to send her that email address.