Chapter Twenty.

Dearest Diary,

I thought I was prepped for this but I guess not. Even with his endless promises of having my back I cannot help but feel like I am walking straight into a lion den. The new dress does not nor the fact of the probably of the media being present. I mean, why can't they just have a normal birthday like the rest of us!

I know I know I am being bitchy again, but you have to understand I am nervous here. I can only hope that this offloading   even if it just on you will help somehow.

******

"Are you ready?"

"No." Troy gives me a look and I glare back. "Excuse me, you are the one who told be to be honest."

"And I did. Just try to be positive though. She's just mum and she doesn't bite."

"Easy for you to say. After all, she is your mum ."

"Exactly." At that, I turn and look at him. "I know her Tara and I know that she can come of as being intense sometimes but it's only because she cares. You would understand that, wouldn't you?"

My eyes narrow at him. I can get a gist of what he is saying but I find that I cannot decide whether to take it as a compliment or not.

" What are you trying to say Troy?" I challenge him.

" Well, you have to admit, you two are so alike..." Alike? Has the man gone and lost his mind? I cannot tell but it does get me thinking and by the time the stretch Limousin pulls up at the front of the hotel I find that I can no longer look at Monica the same way I had before. And the more I think about the more convinced I am by Troy's words. "Hey, do not overthink it."

"How can I not? Have I been that terrible?" the man laughs and clearly he is laughing at me.

"I was wrong. You are only halfway there. The other half is just Attara's own bland of insanity."

"And that is supposed to be comforting?"

"Yes, because it also mean that you are fun and I am not trying to marry my own mother."

"Marry?"

"That is the main objective here right?"

"Troy," I stop to give him a meaningful look. "I would hate to think that you are making fun of me just because you think that I am now somewhat out of my element."

"Well then, get the real Attara out here and let her whoop my tushy!"

"Fine then." the word tushy sounds so ridiculous that I find myself laughing even as I aim an elbow at his ribs right as the valet opens the door and the man is required to step out. "it was not your tushy but it will do for now."I smile even as I reach out a hand to take his hand and allow him to pull me out of the car after him. The moment my feet hit the pavement I am accosted with flashes of light. Camera flashes as our pictures are taken and I all but raise my hands to shield my eyes even as Troy pulls me along into the hotel foyer." Why couldn't you have a normal party like every one else on this blue planet!"

Troy chuckles.

"It's his seventieth birthday, which is also like a retirement party so it had to be big."

"Okay... And what does that mean for you?"

"More responsibilities..."

"and that means I will see less of you."

"Not really, I have things worked out. You see, we are expanding. Bringing the company to Africa and what better way than to start right in Nairobi."

I laugh.

"You went to all that trouble just to be with..."

"You. Both you and Briella. I do not want you to think that it was just because of her, like you always do."

"I was going to say us."

"Right, but I was still not going to risk it."

"So, who will handle matters here?"

"We will hire an executive but dad will still retain his position as the MD. That way he can still overlook everything even in retirement. After a year or two he will officially handover the reigns and I can continue from there."

"What of your own personal businesses?"

"We are considering a merger, but that is just that, a consideration. But it can help me in managing my assets as one."

"So you are not worried that your personal interests may be overlooked."

"Not if I am the biggest shareholder. Dad is splitting up his shares between us and with my own and those I will accrue from the merger, I will somehow end up having the majority. That way it will also work out for best. To keep the company and the decision making within the family like always."

"Well, I must say Lord Whitmore, you really impress me with that genius mind of yours."

"Keep on that way and I might as well buy myself an earldom just to impress."

"Aaaw, I'm flattered." we continue with the friendly banter coupled with the few flirtious words here and there and by the time we reach the ballroom, my nerves are all but forgotten. As if waiting for us, we are accosted by my mum lugging behind her and indignant Shea whose eyes seem to light up the moment she sees us.

"Well... Look here. You actually came!"

"She almost didn't." Troy supplies and I am so tempted to plunge my golden stilleto heel onto the toes of his black dress shoes. But how to do it it discreetly poses a challenge and I abandon the idea for another elbow shove into the man's ribs.

"Careful siz, or you will get caught on camera!" my sister laughs even as my mother continues to look around scanning the faces inside the place.

"There she is."she suddenly grabs my arm and all of a sudden I find myself relieving my latest nightmare.

" Mum..." I groan struggling to keep up as best as I can with six inch stilleto heels and a long flowing dinner dress. The dress is peach with an A-line skirt, a wide boat neck and long full sleeves. The fabric is embroidered with golden thread and even though the description sounds a little drab the effect is quite different. "Mum..." I called out again, but the woman is determined. On the plus side though, I will not get to meet the she demon alone and if she chews me up, I figure my mother will also suffer as well.