Pretty Clueless

Dearest diary,

Sometimes men can be pretty clueless. I am not aware of your gender, but please, if you're one don't take offence at that.

I mean, what part of I need time can't one understand?

Is it so weird for me, a woman, to want to have time so that I can heal and work on myself? Is striving for independence such a mad idea that it's outrageous to even think about it? Surely, how does my wanting space, culminate into me playing hard to get?

Oh, how I wish diary. How I wish that I had my way...Then I would accomplish what I desire and no one would stand in my way. However, as of now that is not possible. We share a daughter between us and there's that new resolution that requires me to actually acknowledge my family and not despise or ignore them like I used to do.

************************************************************

"Look at that! An avocado tree." I say pointing to a huge tree that standing in my grandma's backyard.

"and another and another..." David says pointing to two more that are beyond the high rise of banana leaves.

"And another and another..." Troy adds as he comes to stand beside me.

"You know, just because Nana approved of you, it doesn't mean that you have to keep trailing me around looking like a lost puppy."

"You wound me Attara." he says placing a hand quite dramatically over is chest. "I follow you around because I adore you and I have nothing else better to do." he adds with a cheeky grin.

"In that case, let's go exploring. I hear that there is a waterfall somewhere on this property." David suggests as he begins to strut over to us.

"That's fantastic. Let's go then." Troy says too eagerly. Not that I am not up for it, but there's something that keeps nagging me at the back of my mind and I can't quite put a finger on it.

"What about Bri?" I ask, finally shedding light on the issue.

"She's with the ladies. They are playing dolls with her hair." David gives him a quizzical look, but I am well aware what Troy is going on about.

"I bet Shea was more than happy to free you?"

"It's not like that Attara."

"You should know better. Where she's concerned it's always exactly like that." I start with a reprimanding tone, but finish with a smile at the end.

"Okay, You two are being so cryptic, it's weird that you are not together." David tells us beginning the descent down the hill and into the banana plantation.

I shoot a glare his way, but it is pointless seeing that his back is towards me and he is no longer paying attention.

Troy chuckles at me and follows after David, leaving me with no other choice but to follow too.

"Hey, slow down. Some of us are not as tall as you are!" I shout running after them.

They slow down to a stroll and I am able to catch up, just as a section of tall napier grass comes into view.

I notice how the path we are on cuts through the wide man made terrace seperating the crop of bananas to one side and the napier grass to the other. Movinh on to the next terrace, a section of coffee bushes rise up to meet us and I notice how rows of sweet potato vines, lie on the edge of the smaller terraces, seperating one row of coffee plants from the other.

"Why are there so many terraces here?" Troy asks, studying the same phenomenon that I am.

"Since the land is sloppy, it helps curb soil erosion, plus I also thinks it helps section the land into paddocks that can be of better aid when it comes to crop rotation."