X

No, no and no!" I spat out vehemently as I glared at Linda who was stretching out her car keys to me. The insane woman was trying to convince me to drive her and her car all the way to the mall.

"Come on, what's the worst that could happen?" My forehead furrowed as I frowned at that comment.

"Don't say that. You are testing the fates."

"What?" Linda gawked at me before bursting out into a fit of giggles. "I don't get you! You believe in that kind of stuff?"

"No," my frown grew deeper. "But every time people say that something bad usually happens."

"That is in the movies Attara! I'm beginning to believe that you are spending too much time in your make believe world and it's not healthy. What exactly are you hiding from?"

"Life." I answered her dryly. "And remind me again, why we are doing this?"

"David will soon be going on leave and my husband is back in the country, so he'll want that vehicle any day now."

"Wait, I thought David works for the company?"

"He does. He normally drives the trucks and sometimes Dr. Mwangaza. However he was offered to you to make your stay here comfy and I happened to have a free ride..."

"Oh, okay." I replied gears shifting as I struggled to come up with yet another solution.

"Can't we ask David--?"

"No Attara." Linda cut me off brutally. "It's hardly fair especially since we had to ask him to postpone it for one more month so that he could be able to attend to you!" The woman reprimanded me. She had a point though and my shoulders sagged as my mood continued to deflate.

"Fine." I told her grabbing her keys from her hands. "However, I still don't know why you want me to do this, especially since it's obvious that I do not own a vehicle myself."

Linda gave me a look and I quickly shut my mouth. I open the door to the driver's side and slide in nervously as she began to talk. "Now this is a fully automated vehicle, so it will be easy," she explained as she pointed to all the important parts on the console as she sat in the front passenger seat of the harrier.

"Linda I know. I do have a driver's license you know!" My agent stopped her narration and turned to me with a perplexed look on her face.

"Then why are you even complaining?" An irritated Linda retorted.

"Long story…?"

"It's always a long story with you." she mumbled back angrily. "Can I see it?" I reached out to the back seat of the harrier and I rummaged through my bag before turning back with a white card in my hand. "Great, an International driving permit!" She said sarcastically and I couldn't help but chuckle that my lips emitted. "Quit laughing at me." She snapped back at me looking irritated.

"I am not laughing at you. It's just that you sound funny when you're being sarcastic."

"What's the difference?" she retorted as she gave the card back to me.

"I am laughing at your sarcasm, not you. Why do you have to do this anyway? You could be home having a great time with your family, but instead, you're here working yourself into a fit because of me." I tried again. I was still not giving up. As a matter of fact, I have been told a lot of times that I can be very persuasive if I wanted to.

"And pass up on girl time? No way! I love my family, but even mummy needs a break every now and then." Great! There was no escaping this. Even I knew not to mess with an exhausted mum who had gotten just a few hours off. I knew that very well even though I only had one kid. Linda on the other hand had five, two older boys, her three year old twin girls and Elliot who turned one just the other day. He was also the little boy that they had adopted just a few months ago. How Linda did it? I had no idea. She told me however that she had two nannies and her husband was very supportive, so with all that I guessed it was somehow manageable. For these reasons, I could not allow myself to be the one to stand in her way, especially when she had just said that she needed the time off. I had been there, most mothers have been there and we all know how that feels.