Glossary

Nyama choma: Roasted meat

Maziwa lala: Naturally fermented milk

Mūtura: A sausage made from animal intestines usually sheep, goats or cattle and is stuffed with various cuts of meat and blood before being boiled and cooked over hot coals,

Dira: also known as Deera, Dera or Kaftan and is a loose printed cotton dress for African ladies, usually a traditional wear for the tribes that live along the East African coast but is also common in the inland areas.

Mukimo: a traditional Kenyan meal that is prepared using potatoes and vegetables mashed together usually with maize and beans or other legumes such as peas or lentils.

Sukuma wiki: a staple Kenyan food that consists of vegetables usually kales that is taken together with most meals especially Ugali

Ukie: a traditional fermented porridge made from sorghum and/or millet and sometimes maize. Origins, Mt. Kenya region, East Africa.

Kitumbua:A rice fritter

Lesso:a colourful wrapper worn on top of one's clothes

Ugali: a corn cake made from cooking maize meal in hot boiling water and is usually taken with Sukuma wiki or other vegetables and meat dishes. A staple food in Kenya.

Ankara: An African wax print fabric with a lot vibrant colours and is usually cotton.

Utaelewa: a Swahili word that means ‘you will understand’

Daktari: the Swahili word that means doctor.

Mkuki kwa nguruwe, kwa binadamu mchungu: A Swahili proverb that means ‘a spear doesn’t seem to hurt when a pig is the victim, but when a human is, it is.

Hakuna vile anaweza kaa poa kama mimi. : It means ‘there is no way she can look as good as me’

Hapana: Swahili word for ‘no’
Sisi ni macuzo: Swahili for “’are cousins’

Tunaishi: Swahili word for ‘we live’

Hana watoto: Swahili word for ‘doesn’t have children’

"Ūnu niwe mūrūme wake?" : sub dialect of the Meru language from Kenya, East Africa meaning ‘is that her husband’

"Nīwe tūkwenda amūgūra, īndī mwarī gakūīūmia kīongo.": means ‘he’s the one we would like to marry her, but the girl is being stubborn’

"Nīkī nabūrīa arī muthaka?": means ‘why and he is so handsome’

"Būu gūkamūria ūrī weū nūntū anatwi tūtīkūmwerewa.": means ‘you will have to ask  her yourself, even we do not understand her’

“Kwani Grace, Shea na Marie wameenda wapi: Swahili words for ‘where have Grace, Shea and Marie gone to?’

"Hao wasichana na kujipodoa!": means ‘those girls and their make-up’

Kienyeji: means ‘traditional’
Matumbo: cooked/fried animal intestines

Matoke: a dish that is made of cooked bananas and potatoes mashed together

"Ni mchongoano sasa?": Swahili slang for ‘are you making fun of me now?’

"Ūkwona? Ntīkwīrire? Eūmītie kīongo ta mbunda.": means ‘you see? She is as stubborn as a donkey’

"Ūyu auma kū rīu?”:means ‘where has she come from now?

"Narī na wīra wa kūruta.": means ‘I had work to do.’