XIV

Dearest diary,

I feel very different. Ever since I chose to forgive and let go of everything, I feel much freer and happier. I am not constantly gloomy, depressed or plotting revenge. If anything you wouldn't believe what almost happened. I could tell you, but I don't intend to be the kind of girl who writes about all those mushy details for someone else to find and read in her diary. I also don't have the time. I have a meeting with my bosses, then there is that thing with Dr. Mwangaza and I still have a party to plan.

So until later, I love you,

ALD

P.S: I also don't know what has gotten into me.

***

A talking donkey! I laughed. Briella would totally love this.

"Are you reading a Bible?" a surprised sleepy voice mumbled from the pillows beside me.

"Yes, it is quite interesting." I agreed as I placing the Bible on the bed stand next to me. I marked the page with a bookmark, planning to revisit Numbers twenty two when I was no longer being distracted.

"That explains the change." My mother said as she leaned back on the pillows, rubbing her eyes sleepily. "So, are you now born again christian?"

"I don't know... I guess." I told her shrugging my shoulders as I threw off the covers to get out of bed.

"Attara. That's not something you guess! You either are or are not." I nodded as I slipped on my slippers and dressing gown. I then turned to walk into my bathroom turning her words over in my mind as I continued to brush my teeth. For some unknown reason, her words greatly disturbed by them and it felt like there was so much I needed to do and yet, I was hardly scratching the surface. The rules seemed endless and it was so frustrating. All I wanted was peace and every day it was becoming harder and harder to achieve it! I spat into the sink and rinsed my mouth and toothbrush before setting it back on the rack.

What really is being born again? My eyes flickered to the reflection before me and clueless eyes stared back at me. I kept staring at the green and brown irises swimming with emotion until my alarm clock blared and I reminded that I was still supposed to go to work, right after I dropped one of my house guests at his hotel room in town. I heaved out a heavy sigh and shook off my dressing gown before walking into the shower. That was a topic for another day and I decided that I finally needed to get ready.

***

"Did you know that Bri sleepwalks?" I blinked and my coffee disappeared from the counter.

"You're lying!" I accused my little sister as I grabbed back my coffee mug.

"Sure, but she does sleep talk." Shea said as she rubbed her eyes sleepily still wearing her flannel pyjamas.

"How am I supposed to believe anything you say after that first lie?" I sneered as I walked off into the dining room with my Kitumbua in hand.

"Look at me! There are bags under my eyes! How can anyone sleep when a toddler's off key rendition of Barbie in the Princess and the Pauper is playing throughout the night?" Shea shouted after me and I stifled back my laughter clearly remembering that my dearest daughter, lovely as she may be was quite tone deaf.

"Are you ready to leave?" I asked her father as I walked on him lounging in the living room. He nodded his head and we slipped out of the house, rushing so that Shea would not accost us with more stories of Bri and her weird sleeping habits.

"Should I get the gate?" Troy inquired as we headed out towards the car. Her name was now Bridget, a name that had come to me that morning while I was busy getting ready.