Chapter Ten

Dearest Diary,

I am so happy. I know I know, you told me, but it feels good to see it for myself. So, the court case was a success. (It was thrown out before it even got there).

Then there is that little issue of my sanity. I know, I questioned it a few times myself, but I have to agree with my father. Our plan is a pretty solid one and if we wait and pray had enough, everything is going to play out perfectly.

What? I can't just give you the details. Keep guessing and may you will get close enough for me to spill the beans.

Until later,

ALD☆

"“You sued his mother?” David asks me looking at me as if I have grown an extra head or something. I shake off the memory of my latest diary entry and prepare to respond to him.

“David, she started this. I am only retaliating as I see fit.” I reply herding the monstrosity that is Bridget into the afternoon traffic.

“What about your relationship with Troy?” he ripostes.

“Seeing as he is the one who told you about it, you tell me?”

“He is shocked Attara! As any man would be when the two most important women in his life are fighting. To honest, I thought you would be the bigger person and bow out of this gracefully.” David reprimands and I smart within me. If I wasn’t driving right now I would have turned and I fixed him with a scathing glare.

“Bigger person? David, that woman dragged my name through the mud and unless I get a written apology, there is no way I am going to withdraw that court case. I thought you would have known better having studied business and all.”

Instead of getting mad or continuing to reprimand me like I expected he would, the man laughs sending a confused look to my face.

“So this is about business. For a moment there I thought we would have to deal with that issue of bitterness again.”

“Of course it is about business. What good is the company if we are already labelled as crooks? No good self-respecting merchant will want to deal with us. Worse still, we may end up attracting the wrong kind of business.”

“From all that, I gather that your father had a hand in this.”

“Yea,” I reply turning to look around to make sure that Shea is not hidden anywhere in our vicinity. “But don’t say that in front of my mother or we are going to spark a fight between the two of them. For some reason mother insists in believing that Monica still has some good in her and supports her despite everything. Dad on the other side, he just loves being sneaky.”

David cracks out into a fit of laughter and I shoot him another glare as I pull Bridget into Mombasa road and towards our rented warehouse. I think through the events that have happened in the past one week and a grin forms on my face.

With the evidence that I had provided, not only had the judge thrown out the case before it had even reached courtroom, but he had also unwittingly given me the idea of a countersuit and that is exactly what I am pursuing. Of course there is always danger that that would cement my image as a gold digger more permanently, but my father and I have yet another trump card that will prevent that from happening and hopefully teach that Monica that I am not to be messed with.

Then there is the part where Troy was not aware of my plan and he was seemingly furious at the sudden turn of events. He has not spoken to me yet, but from what David has told me, thing are sure to get rocky.