Chapter 27: I'm Sorry

July 13th, 1 Day until the Ball[Afternoon]

Chloe walked over to the library's check out desk to return a book. Sabrina was nose-deep in an animal book back at the table. From the corner of her eye, Chloe saw Nathaniel. He was putting a book back onto the shelf. After returning the book, Chloe walked over to Nath. She walked to the opposite side of the bookshelf he was on. When Nath took out a book, Chloe yelled...

"Boo!"

"Aah!" Nathaniel yelled. He fell back. The librarian shushed them for making to much noise. Chloe walked to the other side of the bookshelf as Nathaniel got up. "Hey Chloe."

"Hey, Nath. Ready for tomorrow?" Chloe asked.

"Yes. I'm very excited. Also my Aunt can drive us to the dance if you want."

Chloe smiled. "I don't think I met your Aunt yet. What's her name?"

Nathaniel began to chuckle. He sat down at the table.

"What's so funny?" Chloe muttered, a bit annoyed.

"You've met my Aunt. Ms. Bustier?" Nathaniel said. He pulled out his phone and showed a picture of his Aunt and him. Chloe studied the photo. Nath continued. "Aunt Caline. She's my mom's younger sister."

"Wow. Now that I know, I can clearly see the similarities. Any other secret family members I don't know about?" Chloe joked.

"Well you probably already know this, but Alix is my first cousin. Her dad is my uncle, Mom's  older brother. Mom is the middle child. My uncle is the oldest, and Aunt Caline is the youngest."

Chloe was completely shocked. "Alix is your cousin? You don't even have the same last name!"

"My dad's name is mine and was my mom's. My Uncle took his wife's name, which is very modern. Then my  Aunt has the family's name, Bustier." Nathanial explained. He put the book back on the shelf.

"Wow.... I never would have known if you didn't tell me. I never would have known that that stupid roller-skater is your cousin. You're so different." Chloe said. 

Nathaniel raised his eyebrow. "My 'stupid roller-skater cousin'?" He asked rhetorically in a rude tone.

Chloe realized what she said.

"Oh, sorry." She said emotionlessly. Chloe admired her nails. "I didn't mean to call your cousin stupid." 

Nathaniel slowly breathed out. He tightly closed his eyes. "Did you really mean that?" Nathaniel asked. 

"What do you mean?" Chloe joked.

Nathaniel stood up once more and paced a bit. "Did you really mean that apology? This past week, I've put up with you bullying others, because I saw someone better underneath. Someone who can change. But then you do something like this and I... I don't know."

Chloe rolled her eyes and huffed. "And what? You see the monster within or something? I am who I am. I can change, but if you expect me to never bully cold turkey, then you're wrong. I'm trying to not bully, but it's not something I can do overnight, Nath!" She explained.

Nathaniel bit his lip and tried to speak calmly. He ran his fingers across several book covers while he paced.  The more he spoke, the more he wished he hadn't said anything at all. "You shouldn't have been a bully in the first place. Like the reason you hate Marinette, it's-it's worthless. She bakes and your mom died from a bakery item. Big deal. It wasn't your parents who got shot trying to help this city. Like, literally, you're freaking out over a cookie! Any reason to bully isn't a good enough reason!"