Chapter 9 - The Villain

The two officers sat down on the sofa which rested in the small living room. The walls were covered with photo's, photo's of a young girl in a long red dress dancing on a large stage with lights circling her. The same girl was in every photo on the wall with different dresses hanging between them. There was a heater on the right side of the room, it was not lit at the time but three different photo's were balanced on top. It showed the same girl from the photo's of the wall but she was younger and also two older people on either side, one female and one male.

There was two armchairs on the opposite side of the sofa and the same two people were sitting on them with their hands on their knees and fear on their eyes.

"How long has she been missing for?" the officer on the right said, resting his back on the sofa as he tried to straighten himself up.

The woman looked to her husband and frowned before speaking, "three weeks now. We're worried."

The officer on the left leant forward and held the woman's hands in his own.

"We'll find her I promise, has your daughter got any friends she could be with or maybe favoured relatives?"

The woman didn't speak but the man did, "she is always doing work. She rarely visits friends and I her relatives live far away."

"So could she be on a trip for work then?"

"She's never gone for three weeks, alright? Never!" the man said, his hands clenching his knees tightly.

The officer's leant back against the sofa and looked at each other as the officer on the right took out his notepad.

"Alright, well let me ask a few more questions before we leave, is that alright?"

The parents gave a nod and so the questions began.

The front door of the house was opened and the officers left with a cookie in their hands as they thanked the parents for their time.

"So, Lucas" the officer who had sat on the right of the sofa said, "what do you think?"

Lucas ate away at his cookie slightly as he thought to himself before speaking. They were making their way up the street to their black car. They always parked a few blocks away if it wasn't an emergency so they could think and talk to each other while in a situation.

"It's the same story as the other fifteen families. Minus the small details, they were all missing since two to three weeks ago with no sign of life."

"Not just that, there's no trace whatsoever, most of the students have no proper friends either."

Lucas tapped at his head a little before finishing his coffee completely, "You know, Donald, this is might take more than just interviews. I'm hoping our buddies at HQ figure something out because I can't right now."

"But we can agree this is a kidnapping right?" Donald said.

"Afraid so," Lucas said, "sixteen students missing only one semester into their school year, no trace of them to be found, not even the smallest glimpse of them on camera footage or anything else. This is not only a kidnapping, it's a planned one. Whoever planned it was very smart indeed."

The two officers got to their car and Donald sat inside as he finished his cookie but Lucas stopped at the sound of his phone going off. He put it to his ear.

"Yes, captain?" Lucas said.

Donald watched as his partner's face went a little expressionless but soon smiled as he opened his door, "of course we'll be there soon!"