Just Maddie

Peter sits in a chair against the wall in a new set of clothes that he changed into

Peter sits in a chair against the wall in a new set of clothes that he changed into. He wears an oversized gym t-shirt with the school's logo on it and drawstring sweatpants. While Madeline stands afar from the nurse who tries to heal up the injured boy.

"Jack Zander and his crew again, was it?" The lady in spectacles says while handing him an ice pack. He nods solemnly and rests the ice pack against his cheek. "I swear, the amount of times I see you in my office is ridiculous." She mumbles while looking over the boy, checking his eyes with a light.

"If he would've hit you harder, that concrete pole would be the last thing you see before you'd black out." Peter couldn't help but glance over to Madeline, giving him and the nurse worried looks and biting her thumbnail.

"But, you should be fine. If I were you, I'd go home and rest. I'll write a note for you and get some painkillers for your head. Oh—and keep that on." She points to the ice pack and Peter nods again.

This is embarrassing. She shouldn't see me like this—

"How's the nose?" She asks quietly, trying not to raise her voice just in case Peter has the headache still.
"Um, well you know—bleeding." His voice is kind of muffled because of the one toilet paper piece stuck up his nose to stop the blood from dripping out.

Madeline sighs and a shiver comes across her spine. She never liked doctor offices, or even nurse's offices. The cold temperature and the rubber smell of gloves always give her the chills. So she crosses her arms and rolls back her shoulders.

"Jack is an immature jerk for doing this to you.." she mumbles under her breath while pacing slowly.

"Its fine, this happens a lot. I probably deserved it this time," Madeline stops walking and takes a seat in the chair next to the boy, listening intently, "I was the one who knocked him over and pissed him off." And did many other stupid things to make Jack mad.
"He even tried to go for Ned..I mean I couldn't let him take his anger out on him, there's no way."

"Ned?" She questions.

"Yeah, he's uh–my friend." Peter looks at her, the expression never changes; worry mixed with sadness. He knows Madeline feels sorry for him but even she was a target for the bully when she faced him. He wouldn't be able to forgive himself if Madeline Osborn got hurt because of him.

Peter immediately feels regret. No matter where he goes, trouble always seems to follow.

He lets a tiny groan rumble in his throat as he rests his head up against the wall and closes his eyes. His head is throbbing but not as bad as it was before.

"Pete...today at lunch, you stood up for your friend and— I see no harm in that?"

The 15 year old gives Madeline a 'really?' look and she then realizes that she was a bit wrong.