I'm Not Fine

Madeline's finger nails dig into her crossed arms as she leans against a set of lockers

Madeline's finger nails dig into her crossed arms as she leans against a set of lockers. Her thoughts run wild with scenarios of how her time with her brother is going to play out. Ever since this morning, she's had butterflies try to fly out of her throat and the pit in her stomach has never gone away. She barely had any time to get ready for school because she just sat and thought the whole time. That was, until Oliver came in and reminded her that she had classes to attend.

What if the temporary cure doesn't work? How did they even manage to make one? What if he doesn't even remember--

"Hey, Maddie—?" She's suddenly startled by a hand touching her shoulder. A blonde girl with a black headband in her hair looks at her with sympathy.

"You were spacing out there."
"W-was I..?" She turns to her friend who gives her a nod. "Oh. Sorry Betty."
Madeline shakes her head to try to forget about after school and twists the lock combination on her locker. She clears her throat, "were you saying something?" Maddie tries to make her voice more happier, but her feelings say otherwise.

"Mm, nothing interesting. Just rambling about how one of my Dad's young cadets-in-training admitted to having a crush on me."

"Oh?" She giggles, "Does your Dad know?"
"God, I hope not. He's such a tweeze when it comes to guys." Elizabeth Brant sighs as she closes her locker door after putting her books in her side bag.

"'Tweeze?' That's a new one."
"I really don't know what that means. It just kinda came to my head."
The blonde then waits for her friend to finish putting books inside her backpack.

"Well," Madeline closes up her locker and links up arms with Betty, "I can definitely relate to overprotective fathers. I haven't even been on one actual date ever since I dated Jim Ashton."

"Ahh, I remember him. He was one of your Dad's interns. Too bad he moved away to Georgia." Betty says.

The two navigate their way to Maddie's chemistry class down the hall and up a flight of stairs.

"He was an okay guy I guess. But my Dad only let him date me because he was so good at his work. He usually spent so much of his time at the lab then with me anyways."

"Hm, I hate that. The guys nowadays are either focused on sports or trying to suck up to whoever they can to get what they want."

Madeline walks past the window to her first period class where she spots Peter sitting at his regular seat. She notices he's dressed a bit differently then yesterday; more put together. And his hair is styled to the side.
"Well..not all guys are like that."
They both stop at the door to her class and Betty lets out a humorous chuckle.

"Please, name one guy who doesn't clearly show that they're only in it for one thing only."
Maddie doesn't know what to say. She cant say 'Peter Parker' because Betty will just make a big deal about it and totally blow it out of proportion.
But she does still have a gut feeling that he's a genuinely nice guy.